cooling system, need some help from you guys up north - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation cooling system, need some help from you guys up north

alright well last night it got pretty chilly here in tx, not something we get a awful lot. It has been colder than it was last night and i had no issues, the only thing diffrent form last night and all the other cold night was she wasnt pluged in last night. I though i was going back out and i ended up falling asleep. when i left this morning i let her hit high idle for a while and warm up a bit and went a few blocks over and let her idle for a min and then shut it off. Ran by walmart and then came home. Went outside and noticed a spot under the truck. When i oppened the hood the holding tank for the radiador fluid was over flowing. I am baffled of why it would be that way, it was comeing out from under the cap. so im asumeing i dont have a leake in the system sence it hit the preasure release on the cap. So i got the extra fluid out so it was back at the normal level and went around the neighborhood for a bit and when i got back that tank was olmost empty, looked like it was comein out of the cap pretty good. the other thing is the heater was workin fine before i got home. now its just blowin cold. the only place i have seen fluid comein out or look like is comein out is the radiator cap. I looked around the heater core and didnt see anything around there. Im gona put some more 50/50 antifreeze in it just to get it back in and im gona plug her in....see what happens. anyone had this before. any help is greatly appreciated. I cant aford her to be down, i have way to much i have to be at between work and my emt class and clinicals help!!

thanks
john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Maybe the cap is bad. I have never heard of this happening before.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i know....im baffled, but why would the heater stop working, and lat time i checked my levels. i do it every few days, the level in the tank was fine, and it basicly filled itself back up
Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 AM

Well maybe when the level dropped it got air in the lines and then when you refilled it there was still a bubble in the heater core.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i guess im just gona fill it all back up and see what happens. maybe my heater core is empty....kinda lost. nothin leaked last night it all started this morning
Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what about a thermistat, could it have gone out?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 AM

is your temp gauge coming all the way up?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah, but i put some fluid in it, but i squeezed my upper radiator hose and its full and the fluid in the tank went up and down as i squeezed it, but that hose is not hot and with my temp gauge at normal it should still be at least warm. im thinkin my thermistat is stuck closed.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

and i havent drove it sence i put the fluid in it, thinkin im gona replace the thermistat and see what happens
Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 AM

i guess it could be, but it should be runnin hot then. sometimes when its cold out, that upper hose won't even get warm but the gauge can read up to temp. At least thats what my 01 would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.