Dead 7.3!!!! Please Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead 7.3!!!! Please Help

So just as a precurser I had starting problems about 2 months ago and replaced by GPR which was actually cracked in half hence the hard start problem. Now we get into the real problem:

I started the truck this morning and it started great! Fast start, good battery power, no smoke, etc. I get to work with no problems and shut the truck off.

I get done with work about 10 hours later and go to start my truck. It hardly cranks and my battery gauge shows that it is on the line just above 8 which I suspect is about 10 volts. I figured I may have left a light on but no I really second guess that. I had my sister jump it and it started with much convincing. It would start for a sec and then die. While it was hooked up to the jumpers I noticed a cylinder shaped object behind the passenger side battery that was making a fast loud clicking noise.

Once it was started I unhooked the jumpers and shut the hood. I then pulled out of work watching the battery gauge and it was steady but as I accelerated harder I noticed that it was going down (ps, when I very first got it started and running the battery level appeared to be at normal level, halfway between 8 and 18). It continued going dow for about a mile until it I shut the engine off because my ABS light and Airbag light came on and my gauges started tripping out.

I let it rest for a few minutes and then jumped it again and that cylindrical shaped object was still ticking. It started and idled at normal voltage and stayed consistent until I again started moving. It lasted a bit longer this time and still continued to die. The lights and gauges lit up the same and I noticed that my headlights were dimming. My RPM gauge never died but the other gauges were spazzing out and eventually all shutoff as my voltage hit the 8 volt mark. The truck was still running but seemed to have some lag between the time I hit the gas and when it would pick up and respond. I have NOOO idea what could be the cause of this and I have no idea how to even troubleshoot the problem. Can I please please get some help. Thanks so much. I just need to get it working so I can get my baby to my sisters safely instead of a scary jeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

sounds like alternator is taking a dump and have both batteries tested , the clicking noise is hapening because of the low voltage , they get confused when the voltage gets really low
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM

sounds like altenator to me too. thats exactly wat my old truck did when the altenator went bad on it. good luck
Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM

but would an alternator just go out all of a sudden. I mean my batteries have been charging fine everyday and it started just fine this morning and was dead 10 hours later. Also the batteries are less than a year old. Why would the RPM gauge jump while I was cranking the starter?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:43 PM

oh yeah and it was just the cylindrical shaped object behind the passenger battery making any ticking noise and it was making the noise even when I wasnt cranking the truck. It looks like it has vaccuum lines going into it
Old 01-27-2010, 07:58 PM

I dont mean to doubt what was said. I just have small pockets so I just want to make sure
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM

bump bump bump
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
addicted to diesel

take the alternator off and have it test at a parts store. they should be able to tell
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM

I just had an idea. What if my serpantine belt snapped about a mile from work on my way yesterday? It was cold enough and I was going fast enough that my engine temp probably wouldnt have risen at all. That would make sense on why I have never had any alternator problems. I will check when I get home and also test my alternator. Thanks guys
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM

you'd def know if your belt snapped.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.