fuel leak into valley - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel leak into valley

I just purchased a late 99 7.3. I have some fuel leaking off the back of the motor while the truck is running. I have looked through several threads about fuel leaks, but most of them deal with 94-97 trucks. I have a stupid question, do the 99-03 7.3's have a pump in the valley, or is the only pump the one under the driver side of the cab?

I looked around the fuel filter area with a flashlight and could not pinpoint the leak, I will try cleaning it up and looking further tomorrow.
so far the list of possible leaks I have come up with are
-leak from o-rings at fuel bowl drain
-leak from a hole rubbed into one of the fuel feed lines to the heads
-o-ring on top of fuel filter leaking (dont think its that one)

What else should I look for? Will my dealer stock parts like the drain valve and the steel fuel lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
drain on the fuel bowl.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

If you do the drain on the bowl it is worth it to get the other kit and replace the o-rings in the fuel lines going in and out of the fuel bowl. I did mine at the same time and they looked terrible. No problems now.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

its probably your lift pump there is a weep hole in the bottom and starts leak when it go's bad
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-STROKER View Post
its probably your lift pump there is a weep hole in the bottom and starts leak when it go's bad
please excuse my ignorance, but dont the 99-03 trucks have a pump under the cab and none in the valley? I couldnt see anything that I thought was a pump in the valley.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred_stroker View Post
If you do the drain on the bowl it is worth it to get the other kit and replace the o-rings in the fuel lines going in and out of the fuel bowl. I did mine at the same time and they looked terrible. No problems now.

where might I find said o-rings? I hate to get overpriced stuff from the stealer, but I need to drive the truck on a pretty long trip this week, and I would like to get it fixed before that, so online orders probably wouldnt be here in time.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 AM

well I ordered a 9 peice viton o-ring set because it sounds like its a good idea to replace those anyways. I might also order a new drain valve just in case that ends up being cracked or something. I am going to remove the y-pipe and see if I can check out the steel fuel line that runs to the rear of the passenger side head.

So to confirm, 99-03 trucks do not have a mechanical lift pump in the valley right? just en electric pump under the truck?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpsd View Post
I just purchased a late 99 7.3. I have some fuel leaking off the back of the motor while the truck is running. I have looked through several threads about fuel leaks, but most of them deal with 94-97 trucks. I have a stupid question, do the 99-03 7.3's have a pump in the valley, or is the only pump the one under the driver side of the cab?

I looked around the fuel filter area with a flashlight and could not pinpoint the leak, I will try cleaning it up and looking further tomorrow.
so far the list of possible leaks I have come up with are
-leak from o-rings at fuel bowl drain
-leak from a hole rubbed into one of the fuel feed lines to the heads
-o-ring on top of fuel filter leaking (dont think its that one)

What else should I look for? Will my dealer stock parts like the drain valve and the steel fuel lines?

Hello,

I resently purchased a 2002 and same issue,,,,,,fuel leak was filling up the valley and leaking to the back of the motor,,,,Found that the o-rings on the fuel lines themselfs were shot,,,,, Went to ford and bought a o-ring kit for $26.00,,,,Easy replacement ,,,,dont loose your head ,,,Acouple of things need to be removed from the right side of the filter housing to gain access but a easy repair,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good Luck
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel Loss

I have an 02 superduty quad cab long bed and i used to get 600 miles out of my tank and just recently have found my truck eating up the fuel,,,,same driving conditions just now am loosing fuel,,,,suggestions on what to do or look for,,,,,,,,,
Thank You
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM

i ended up removing the entire fuel bowl and replacing all the o-rings with viton orings, i also replaced the drain valve, all all 6 of the fuel line sleaves (those were looking pretty bad). I took the feed line off the passenger side head to see if it had rubbed through, it had not. I removed the sheet metal clip that secured it that is known for rubbing a hole. Fuel leaks seem to be gone. Not sure which was the worst culprit, but I do think it was leaking out of several of the locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.