Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

GPR gone bad

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  green02f250 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I would pass on what it looks like when the GPR goes bad. I had a hard time starting the truck during the past couple of weeks (never got above 30 deg here in MD). I read NCHornet's write up on the GPR and swapped out the stock for the Stancor HD relay. I can tell what the problem was when I pulled out the old relay.

You can see the pitting on the contacts. The stock relay was never up to the high amperage the glow plug circuit demands. While I was waiting for the Stancor to arrive, I was using a screw driver to short the terminals to run the glow plugs, the screw driver got HOT! You can tell by the pics the same thing was happening on the relay.

Came out in pieces. If you have a failing relay, don't put back in the stock relay, get the Stancor HD upgrade. Well worth it!

See less See more
#2 ·
I put the Stancor relay in mine too last year or the year before. Well worth it.

#3 ·
The Stancor is a great bet but there are also advantages in the other options.
There is the ~$60 for an OEM match with a lifetime warranty that you can find within a couple miles of home and swap out whenever.
There is also the $15 relay that has a warranty and just has a couple poles backwards.
I went with the $60 option since I was in a hurry, it was simple, and the total diagnosis/replacement/run to store time is all under a half hour if it ever does go bad again.

#4 ·
Sure there are always cheaper options, but for $20 more, I have a relay that I know will last the life of the truck. I'm from the school if you are going to fix something, do it right the first time and I won't have to fix it again. Look at the result of 100K miles on the stock relay, why would I want to put another OEM relay back in its place? Ever try and return a worn out part to the auto parts store a couple of years after you installed it? Life time warranty or not, you get what you pay for. These trucks are not cheap, so why would you want to put cheap parts on them?
Sorry for the rant, just my $.02.

#5 ·
little help needed

I changed my gpr today and my instrument panel doesn't work.
When I changed it I disconnected the ground from both batteries. installed the new one exactly as the old one was. turned on my ignition and my gp indicater flashed brifly and my instrument panel went blank. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I thought I might have bought a bad relay, so I put the old one back in and still nothing. truck turns over but will not start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.