Fuel Pump Blues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump Blues

Hello anyone out there,

I have a 97 F-350 7.3 liter and my problem is I have a fuel leak that I believe is comming from the fuel pump. I tried to look under the fuel pump to see if the fuel was comming from the pump but I guess my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I called a dealer and they told me labor was 5.7 hours at $77.00 per hour plus the cost of the pump, another $202.00. I don't have that kind of money on social security income and need to do the work myself. I called Nappa and there cost for the pump is $114.00 + tax I am in Arizona and need to get back to Ohio (yeah I'm a snowbird). Could someone let me have some advice? I have a Haynes book and they say I need to remove the turbo, that seems like a lot of work but if it has to be I will.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 AM

Don's97,

Go to search and pull up this post below. I did this California pump replacement last October on my own 97 psd. The job is a little time consumng the first time but you'll be able to remove and replace the pump without removing the turbo. I'd recommend changing the fuel lines, fuel filter and cleaning the fpr screen while you're at it. Good luck.

fuel leak on a 97 PSD.Calif. truck... ( 1 2 3)
tr97psd
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tr97PSD,
Thanks for the reply. when you reccomended changing the fuel lines do you mean the two rubber ones in top of the pump or the ones that go to the engine fuel distrubution. After you replaced the pump would you remove the turbo if you had to do it again? Was the wrench a 1" or 1 1\16"? Does it have to be a box end or open end? I'm not sure which way to go, I have an auto tranny in mine.

Don'97
Old 04-05-2007, 06:20 PM

Don'97

My truck is a California model, there is a fuel dampner directly behind/ontop of the pump where the lines feed the fuel galleys in the head. This dampner and fuel line assy, position the banjo bolt to be below the turbo, if yours is not a Calif.truck you will not have this dampner allowing you to use a "tweeked" 1 1/4" box wrench to remove the banjo bolt. If you read the post I refered to, it will pretty much walk you through the process, the fuel hoses I refered to are from the pump to the fuel canister. These are special hoses I got from the local Ford dealer, 3 hoses approx.3 inches long each were about 9 dollars. Also replace the crush washers when replacing the banjo bolt. Below I am reposting the thread after I had everything finished.Hope this will shed some light on your project.

tr97psd
<b>Premium Member</b>
tr97psds Garage

Finally finished my fuel pump replacement on my California 97 psd,without removing the turbo! Marc, and Fordnut85, thanks to you both for your patience, and helpful suggestions.
The process was time consuming, but as Marc said,"duable". I bought a 1/2 " drive, impact socket 1-1/4" and tack welded it to a piece of 1-1/4" black pipe, put it in a mateal band saw and cut off the socket leaving only enough to grab the banjo bolt, then ground the tack welds off and ended up with a socket short enough to reach in and unscrew the banjo bolt. Using a 3/8 drive swivel head ratchet and a 3/8 to 1/2" drive adaptor, I managed to break the banjo bolt loose,and finally get it out. I loosened the fuel filter canister and slid it towards the fan, replaced all the fuel lines with Ford factory lines,and new crush washers on the banjo bolt, cleaned the screen on the FPR while I was there. To re-assemble I used a plastic tip off a silicone tube, (new here not used) shoved that into one of the holes of the banjo bolt and then a screwdriver into the tip of the tube,(sounds wierd but it worked) shoving the banjo bolt into the fuel line assembly and the pump. Best part of all the truck fired right up with no leaks. Hope this info will help someone on their fuel pump replacement.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello my good friend,
I did bring up yor post and found out about the 1 1/4" wrench. I called a Ford dealer today and got prices for "o" rings on both sides af the banjo, also "o" rings for the two fuel lines that go to the head. I willl call the dealer tomorrow and ask about the fuel lines and crush washers for the banjo bolt. Could you tell me if a flare wrench is necessary to loosen the two fuel lines and do you remember the size. I want to get all the parts together before I tackle the job. I feel better about doing the replacement after I read your posts and the replys you received. I'm not sure what the FPR screen. Is it in the bottom of the fuel filter. My truck is not a California truck so I borrowed a 1 1/4" inch combination wrench today and it seemed to go on the banjo bolt. Thanks again for all your very helpful information and I hope you and you family will have a great Easter Holiday.

Don
Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 PM

Don'97

I did not replace the orings for the fuel lines at the fuel galleys, I did loosen the fittings using a tubing wrench and moved the lines slightly out of the way, don't remember what size maybe 1/2" or 9/16", anyway I just retightened them with no leaks or other problems. The FPR (fuel pressure regulator) in located on the drivers side of the fuel canister near the top, the screen is located inside the fitting on the side, I removed it,cleaned it and replaced it. Tom...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM

I recently did a fuel pump replacement on my 96. Of course I didn't find any posts about it until the job was done. The main thing that would have helped was to know to bump the starter to break the old pump loose. I changed the fuel lines since the old ones were nasty looking. Once the fuel filter housing is out its not much to do at all. This is my first diesel so I was a bundle of nerves but once I thought of it as a pump on a gasser I got it done and all was well. (Lots of stress the first crank up afterwards, though.)
Old 04-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone for the good advice.
My fuel pump is supposed to be in today and I want to start on it after I call Nappa to see when it arrives. I will let all know how I make out. I need to think about going back to Ohio because the season is ending here in Arizona, besides the reports are comming out about the rattlesnakes being out and about.

Don
Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello all responders,
Well my fuel pump arrived today and five hours later I was cleaning uo my tools. The truck started up and no gushers. I will take it out for a test run tomorrow some time. I had the most diffuclty getting the three hoses to hook up but I was able to finish the project without pulling the turbo. There was no easy way to hook everything up but it did go together.
I'm very greatful for this website and all the help everyone gave me. At first I was intimadated with a diesel but the forum was made the job easier.
I hope all a good Easter holiday.

Thanks again
Don
Old 04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just got my fuel pump changed yesterday. I owned the truck for about a month or so and it leaked since i got it. I'm curious to see how much my mileage improves as it was pretty hard on fuel about 11-13 mpg empty not pushing it hard. I installed a tymar home made intake at the same time, hopefully i can pick up a couple mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.