Vibration at low rpms...I'm lost! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Vibration at low rpms...I'm lost!

So long time reader first time poster. Had a 7.3 back in 04 and just bought my second. Its a early 99 SC LB 4x4 with 130k miles. Anyways the truck has a weird vibration only in a certain rpm range.

You can mostly feel it in 3rd and 4th when the engine lugs between 1300 and 1800 rpm. The vibration gets worse the more throttle I apply, when I let off it goes away. You can feel it in the whole truck but steering wheel shakes kinda bad also. I can also feel it a little in reverse. It wouldn't bother me but the vibration feels like its gonna break some tranny or motor mounts.

I've searched and read it could be anything from a bad injector to a torque converter shutter, but nobody posts if they resolved the problem. Has anyone had and resolved this issue? I'm getting kinda desperate but would hate to change the TC and it doesn't solve it. Any help is much appreciated and I'm glad to be back in the powerstroke family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 05:33 AM

My truck does the exact same thing. my tranny and tc are new(less than 500 miles) if i drive mine for a while it will go away most the time but we did the cyl contribution test and my 3 & 8 injectors show to be bad. have you ran any test on it?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No I haven't done any tests yet. I just got the truck a few days ago. I've read multiple solutions to this problem, but the most common was injector related. Do you plan on replacing those injectors anytime soon?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopoe View Post
My truck does the exact same thing. my tranny and tc are new(less than 500 miles) if i drive mine for a while it will go away most the time but we did the cyl contribution test and my 3 & 8 injectors show to be bad. have you ran any test on it?
Those injectors read bad with a grey cps
Old 01-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Yes my new ones will be here tom. #3 read bad before ford did the cps recall then wk later 3 & 8 showed bad. Should i only replace 3?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopoe View Post
Yes my new ones will be here tom. #3 read bad before ford did the cps recall then wk later 3 & 8 showed bad. Should i only replace 3?
After you've. Installed them please let me know if it helps at all.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 AM

If there is a stroke on the road that still hasn't had the cps upgrade then someone has been out of touch with civilzation. since you just bought the truck i would o strait to the for house to get it replaced and see about gettin a cylender contrubution test run as soon as the new one is in. alot of these ford techs are prettty cool and eager to share their knowledge.

Thanks to all the Techs! you guys keep me driving
Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 PM

Installed my new injector in #3 today seems to have taken care of my miss did put the#8 in yet because it got broke during shipping but i will keep ya posted on how it does tom when its cold
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.Hutch View Post
So long time reader first time poster. Had a 7.3 back in 04 and just bought my second. Its a early 99 SC LB 4x4 with 130k miles. Anyways the truck has a weird vibration only in a certain rpm range.

You can mostly feel it in 3rd and 4th when the engine lugs between 1300 and 1800 rpm. The vibration gets worse the more throttle I apply, when I let off it goes away. You can feel it in the whole truck but steering wheel shakes kinda bad also. I can also feel it a little in reverse. It wouldn't bother me but the vibration feels like its gonna break some tranny or motor mounts.

I've searched and read it could be anything from a bad injector to a torque converter shutter, but nobody posts if they resolved the problem. Has anyone had and resolved this issue? I'm getting kinda desperate but would hate to change the TC and it doesn't solve it. Any help is much appreciated and I'm glad to be back in the powerstroke family.

Did you ever find the problem? My truck is doing the same thing. My trans mission is under warranty, so dealer tried to fix the problem. They installed a new solenoid pack, new torque converter, then a new rebuilt transmission. None of this fixed the vibration. Told me the vibration was not transmission related. Trying to find out where to look next. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 AM

Also, dealer said the injectors tested fine. Truck does not smoke outside of a hard acceleration or really cold starts. Dealer also reflashed the PCM with latest flash. Can I have a bad injector/s and not know it? No CEL, no codes, no smoke, passed buzz test. What can cause this vibration at 3rd and 4th at 1400-1800 rpm? It does it as soon as it shifts into 3rd or 4th, goes away once rpm's get up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.