2000 7.3 Problems (Newbie here) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 Problems (Newbie here)

New to the site, have kind of a long one here, strange stuff, hope for some pointers:

Truck is a 2000 F350 4x4. No engine mods. 6 speed manual, 196,000 miles. Ran great up until about 3 weeks ago. I did have 2 injector seals leaking about 8000 miles ago and had all injector seals replaced. At that time they said all injectors were ok. Truck maintained excellently… oil changes (Delo 400), coolant additive, coolant flushes, all filters regularly (air, fuel, oil). About 2000 miles on this oil so far, new fuel filter last week, etc. Oil level good – doesn’t really use much oil between changes (about a quart or so depending how I drive). No noticeable blow-by to speak of, etc. CMP is International, about 2 years old.

Basically it has recently lost power and setting SES light occasionally. The truck starts fine, runs a little rougher than used to, little bit louder (cackle – knock & chugging like sound) not the smooth idle it did have. It actually runs fair when started, then after a bit it gets worse, then better again. The periods of it acting up are becoming more frequent and lasting longer and during the periods of it running smoother and SES going off it still isn’t as good as it should be and getting worse (chugging).

I got AE and the first codes pulled were these:
P1812 = 4WD mode select circuit fail
P1876 = Xfer case 2WD solenoid circuit fail
P0107 = MAP/BARO pressure sensor circuit low
P1316 = IDM Codes
(I don’t know how long each has been there)
IDM Code = P1272 = Cylinder #2 high to low side open

Injector Buzz Test = All sound same (strong). When the engine is cold this test gives the code P1272 as noted above… no codes and passes after running a while.

Cylinder Contribution Test gave a P0266 = Cylinder #2 injector circuit contribution/balance fault. After it runs a while (through the bad spot) the engine smooths out some and passes the contribution test.

At idle (654 rpm): about 3000 rpm:
ICP = 472 to 505 psi. 1860 psi
ICP Duty Cycle = 10.16% 22.65%
Exhaust BP = 15.26 to 15.5 24.88 psi
MAP = 14 to 14.1
BARO = 14.4
Manifold guage pressure = -.04 to -.22

Rotational Velocity = all 0 most of the time, varies up to 0.4 / 0.6%. The two worst ones after running a while are: #5 (varies between 0 and 1.1%) and #8 (varies between 0 and 0.7%). Oddly enough, #2 looks good.

The truck seems to start running crappier at EOT = 140° (maybe coincidence) and better at EOT = approx 180º. By the time it gets to 180, CCT passes with no code. There is definitely something up with cylinder #2 when cold (possibly a sticky injector?).

Any info or thoughts or help as to where to go from here would be great. Can the problem with #2 injector drag the engine down causing loss of power and chugging even when it doesn’t give codes after it runs a while?

I had a fuel leak on the separator a while back I think due to the ULSD, I think that’s what caused my injector seals to leak at the end of last year also. Has anyone had any problems using the new reformulated Delo 400 oil? I’ve been using Delo since I got the truck new in 2000 but now am wondering if their new oil formulation for the Global DHD-1 Spec is causing problems. This is my 3rd oill change on the new stuff. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I can't help ya, but to Powerstroke.org. Someone will chime in and help ya out. By the way I have to ask is that your real name or are ya just a Clint Eastwood fan?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope... Not my real name... BUT, the best movie ever made.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

HaHaHa yeah I have to rank it right up there in my top 5 at least Because the traffic is slow during the day when the traffic picks up this evening if somone hasn't seen your post bump it up to the top again till someone see's you post. Good luck hope ya get it worked out.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
im fat and ugly

welcome to the org, i hope you get yur issue resolved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.