Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dropped fuel tank

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  rodman68 
#1 · (Edited)
can i get some help

So I droped the tank on my truck at the suggestion of some of the folks on here. My pick-up is not clogged or anything. I got to thinking that if that is not it then what could it be. I poured diesel in to a pale and turned the key to on and let the pump suck fuel up. The in tank pick up is seems to be sucking air even when sunk in fuel ther-by not allowing me to build any fuel pressure. any ideas?

#3 ·
Did you clean the screens that are inside of the pick-up? I didn't know they were in there until after I put mine back on. :doh:

#4 ·
I've changed 3 sending units in 3 seperate 7.3s because of cracks in the pipes that suck air when the fuel level drops below the crack. Pressure will slowly drop as you accelerate until there is no pressure and the engine stalls.

#5 ·
Just a note.....do not support the tank in the middle where the sending unit is located. You can damage it.

#7 ·
Isn't that why guys do the in-tank mod to eliminate the mixer valve?

#8 ·
Update:

I got the tank all dropped and cleaned out. Took apart the pickup and cleaned the screans, did the "hutch mod", put a clanp on the pick up as mine was missing and it is supposed to have one, did the harppon mod and then put it all back in the truck in a lil less then 2 and a half hours. I reckomend everyone do this as it is very easy and dropping the tank is simple (if its empty) I did the whole thing myself.

Trucks runs better now.

#9 ·
Good for you. Did you find much crap in your tank? Mine was very clean.

#12 ·
The kit is easier then tracking down the parts, thats for sure.

#13 ·
Ok finally got back to truck pulled the input line to fuel pump ran one down to small jar with diesel and nothing looks like pump is toast unless output line is clogged I would say very unlikely but I will check that after getting the fuel line removal tool to take the pump out.

#14 ·
hey ryan, after you did your tank mods did you notice that the truck is quieter?

#15 ·
ok its back on the road it was just the fuel pump new one is very quiet. I temped a electric fuel pump with built in bowl that I was going to use for my 94 hooked it to the line to the tank and it pulled very clean fuel. At this time my tank is ok primed the fuel bowl three times, and it started right up on that fourth try. Noticed one thing after it smoothed out that the engine seems quieter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.