Blowing Blue Smoke...Please Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Blowing Blue Smoke...Please Help

Hey Ya'll, so I just bought an 01 F350 and I am new to the Powerstroke for the most part. I got the truck to use as a farm truck. I bought it from an old farmer who parked it because he got a "fix it" ticket because of the amount of blue smoke she was pouring out!

Ok so let me tell you about the truck. It was used as a cable reel hauler for a cable pulling company. She has the 7.3 powerstroke and it only has 72K original miles on the dash. Oil was changed roughly every 4K miles and the automatic transmission was replaced at 50K by Ford due to a mechanical failure. It is a crew cab with a factory steel C-M bed over the dually wheels.

So this is what he had done to the truck(or so he says), they replaced the turbo, three injectors on the left bank, the injector harness on the left bank, and completed a successful compression test. The truck was still bellowing blue smoke and he received a ticket in Connecticut for it, he towed it back to Texas and it has been parked ever since. The factory turbo was put in the back seat and the new turbo was taken off and put on another truck(apparently it was a bigger turbo and the guy wanted to use it on his other truck). I have all the parts to put the turbo back on and he says that the turbo works fine, we will see!!!

First question: The truck sat with no turbo on it, the hood seal didnt seal and so the turbo pipe that goes into the plate right by the valve cover on the drivers side is full of rain water. Do I need to tear the engine down and clean this out or what would be the best solution to evacuate the water out of this location?(There is no water in the oil upon a dipstick check)

Second: What should I worry about when I try and get this powerstroke to run again so I can see in person what she is doing?

Third: Once running again, any ideas where I should begin looking for possible causes of the blue smoke? I just cant believe that a motor that was well maintained like this one is blown after 72K miles.

OK, so as I am a rookie, please help me out to try and figure out why this thing is bellowing smoke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM

anyone???
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Speaking to the blue smoke. It is oil so your injector o-rings are probably shot allowing oil to blow by.

The water is a different story. I am not at all sure what will have to be done, but before I did anything I would siphon it all out and go from there.

Oh and Welcome to the Addiction um I mean Org!

Last edited by GoFastPadre; 12-31-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if the exhaust has water in it. i would for a peace of mind and pull it out, remove the exhaust manifolds, change all injector orings. buzz test em too, compression test, hg job, and glow plugs. whats the oil and coolant look like?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 AM

The oil and coolant look good. Suprisingly. The water is in the intake on the left bank. It is rain water from the last few days. Going to take the intake off today and empty water. Did find out yesterday that the turbo is fried. Well not dead fried, but needs to be rebuilt fried. The turbine has ALOT of play in it. I dont think she has hit the wall yet but we will know more upon further inspection!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
if the exhaust has water in it. i would for a peace of mind and pull it out, remove the exhaust manifolds, change all injector orings. buzz test em too, compression test, hg job, and glow plugs. whats the oil and coolant look like?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

UPDATE!!!!!

Turbo was fried! Went to Majestic and got it rebuilt and got it stuffed back in today! Suprisingly she fired after a little carressing and a few choose words.

Oil pressure is good, temp is good...Couldnt find exhaust clamp anywhere so I am not going to drive her yet. Going to try and locate one either tomorrow or monday.

She smoke really bad at first. As I was told she would. It seemed the longer she ran the less she smoked and the smoother she ran. However, she smoked me out of my shop in like 5 minutes flat(got to get a dang vent system installed soon) I am waiting on fans to clear the shop out and then I am going to play some more.

Uhm, question for ya'll is where to check from here? So far she runs pretty good, I feel like she isnt hitting on all cylinders at idle, but if you bring the RPM's up she smooths out. Should I just let her run a while and see if she cleans up a bit or should I stop and start checking things?

I appreciate the help in advance!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 AM

So, I was letting her run in the workshop after setting up a ventilation system and she was beginning to run a little better but still a little rough. I hopped in the cab and revved her up. When she accelerated she ran really good, but when she settled back down she died, didnt even act like she was gonna hesitate, just died.

Now, I cant get her to start again. Checked everything I have done to make sure that I didnt mess up anything....Well I found that I hadnt tightened the turbo hold down bolts. I guess I got excited when putting it back on! Anyway, I tightened them, and still no worky. Anyone have a clue as to where I should go from here to get her fired back up??? Someone please help!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turbo troubles too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex_waco_usmc View Post
Turbo was fried! Went to Majestic and got it rebuilt and got it stuffed back in today! Suprisingly she fired after a little carressing and a few choose words.

Oil pressure is good, temp is good...Couldnt find exhaust clamp anywhere so I am not going to drive her yet. Going to try and locate one either tomorrow or monday.

She smoke really bad at first. As I was told she would. It seemed the longer she ran the less she smoked and the smoother she ran. However, she smoked me out of my shop in like 5 minutes flat(got to get a dang vent system installed soon) I am waiting on fans to clear the shop out and then I am going to play some more.

Uhm, question for ya'll is where to check from here? So far she runs pretty good, I feel like she isnt hitting on all cylinders at idle, but if you bring the RPM's up she smooths out. Should I just let her run a while and see if she cleans up a bit or should I stop and start checking things?

I appreciate the help in advance!
My turbo took a dump on new years eve. I have an '01 SD with the 7.3 motor. Mine only has 106,000 miles, it has had the oil changed pretty much as scheduled, but it started blowing white smoke and began leaking oil thru the muffler as it was parked overnight in the driveway.

Cold and snowing here in Michigan... gotta pay the dealer to do mine. $1800 : (
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 AM

Sorry to hear that, yeah, I got mine rebuilt and reinstalled but the temps here are alot better than there I am sure! Mine wont start now, dont know what the deal is now, still working through this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born-in-the-USA View Post
My turbo took a dump on new years eve. I have an '01 SD with the 7.3 motor. Mine only has 106,000 miles, it has had the oil changed pretty much as scheduled, but it started blowing white smoke and began leaking oil thru the muffler as it was parked overnight in the driveway.

Cold and snowing here in Michigan... gotta pay the dealer to do mine. $1800 : (
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM

2nd UPDATE!!!!

OK so had a buddy come over and help me today, put two new batteries in the truck. replaced CPS which had already been done on the recall, and installed the new exhaust pipe clamp. Still no joy on cranking. Noticed that the fuel just doesnt smell right, dont know how to describe it but just not right. Also, popped the blue pressure line loose and it had air in it. bled a little, Still no joy, just turns over...Sprayed a small amount of ether and she acted like she wanted to fire but didnt.

I AM STUMPED. Letting the batteries charge overnight, going to get five gallons of good clean diesel tomorrow and pour that in the tank and then add some Diesel 911 on top of that. Does anyone have a clue as to where to go from here.....

BTW, checked the obvious, every fuse in the truck is good and fuel pressure seems good too!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.