1999 PSD Hard to Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 PSD Hard to Start

My 1999 PSD w/72000 miles is hard to start when cold. Installed new GPR and one GP has high resistence. The batteries are originals. Could they be the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to jtomasik Send a message via Skype™ to jtomasik
Your starting system could well be the problem. I replaced my GPR, the glow plug harnesses, and the glow plugs, with little success. Kept checking my cables/batteries/starter, and it wasn't until the starter and one of the batteries failed that I got the beast to start in the cold without plugging it in at night.

Make sure you go through the simple stuff too, like cleaning the battery terminals/cables. Before my battery/starter change, there was a slight drag during starting that I didn't really notice. Not until I replaced the battery that died and the starter that failed did I realize how quickly the truck should turn over. Made a huge difference. Starts in the mornings after very low overnight temps, without ever plugging it in. Oh, my truck has almost 200,000 on it.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1999 PSD Hard to Start

Thanks for the info....New batteries tomorrow. When the dealership did a voltage check on them they said they were OK but that was without load. Batteries wear down after 6 times of trying to start. If I plug it in it will start fine. The batteries are the original bateeries when I bought the truck new
in "99" got 10 years out of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.