2000 Power stroke no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Power stroke no start

He guys again. . . my boss has a 2000 powerstroke in a f250 with the six speed tranny. It just gets used for work and has 180xxx miles on it. So we went to start it the other morning it was 10 degrees out and it wouldnt start. It was cranking really slow so we figured the batteries. They good, so we plugged it in for like 2 hours and then it would crank much easier and started. The next day we went to start it and it did the same thing. I know its not gelled and the fuel pump is working, its weird that it cranks alot easier when plugged in. so maybe the starter? It has the same symtoms of a dead battery until you plug it in.

Now i know cummins not powerstroke so any help is appericated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The glow plug system should be checked. Search these forums for (cold start)
there's a lot of good info here. If there starter has never been replaced I would buy a DB HD starter. They're only about $125 and that would rule out the starter being the problem. As you will read you need a good fast turning starter as one of the pieces of the puzzle so to speak.
read on!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Start here and let me know if you still need help. Don't go and start replacing perfectly good parts!!! Perform the proper troubleshooting and only replace the components that have failed!!

Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NCHORNET has good advice, but if you're like me and don't have access to a scan tool and don't want to pay a stealership, then what I had to do is research and replace parts.
I'd rather spend $500 in new parts doing the trial and error myself rather than paying $250 in labor and $250 for one part. But that's just my way of doing things.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I always plugged mine in... even if it was below 40 degrees. I'd plug it in before bed and it always fired right up in the morning, even when I was farming out in la grande and it was -20 in the morning. I plugged it in anywhere its gonna sit more than 5 or 6 hours during the cold months. It wouldn't start for nothing if it wasn't, but when it was warmer worked fine.... never saw an issue for me, but i guess i just have a lot of extension cords
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so update. . . glow plug system checks out ok. . . we changed fuel filter. . . problem is not battery related. We are going to change the starter tommrow. And thanks for that link there hornet lots of good stuff there. . . but seeing how it get to be about -20 around here sometimes you get used to that. And this powerstroke always hates the cold something feirce never liked starting when it got down to around 0 out it doesnt like starting at all and takes a couple try to get her going. Ill post back tommrow night and see if the starter was the problem! (im kinda thinking it is) but i always know there is alot that can make it not start.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's the link for the DB starter DB Electrical Starter-Alternator get the high torque one it looked like it was around $111.00. I have one and it's awsome. It really spins super fast even on cold mornings. Good reviews on this site also.
I had an intermitent no start when hot so I replaced the starter, ICP sensor and the IPR valve. Not neccesarily in that order but it cured my problem.
Good luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrog View Post
The glow plug system should be checked. Search these forums for (cold start)
there's a lot of good info here. If there starter has never been replaced I would buy a DB HD starter. They're only about $125 and that would rule out the starter being the problem. As you will read you need a good fast turning starter as one of the pieces of the puzzle so to speak.
read on!
I saw when I was on this forum earlier that there was a troubleshooting guide for hard starting. It started with a checkout of the glow plug relay and system. Do you know where that is. I think I found where the info used to be but the notation says banned under the guy's (Marty) name.

I need that guide or an alternative to it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There's a link in this post/sticky from the top of this forum.
Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update Please

Did the new starter fix your hard start when cold problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.