Update on 97 F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update on 97 F350

Hoping for any other suggestions, I installed the "Black" Ford CPS no change still hard start and rough idling CEL is on, then bought the "Blue" international CPS and still the same problem, removed the ECm and cleaned the pins and the plug ( very SLIGHT corrosion and a couple of them) still no change. Does anyone know how much a Breakout box is? I assume it is something that you can plug in and be able to take readings of of certain pins/wires? I'm down three jobs this is costing me $ besides the $ I have to pay the guy to fix it. HELP PLEASE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

What kind of scanner are you using, Can you do a injector buzz test or cylinder contribution test? If your check engine light is on you should have some codes stored and a cheap one won't always pull all the codes. Have you checked your wiring harness yet?

Might want to post all the things you have tried in one thread. I had to jump around to three differnet threads to figure out what you have tried.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll Keep it on this one, I checked all wiring harnesses, nothing wore or melted, using the ladder chart went through G1-G6 it threw the "Intermittant CPS" code so I changed the cps ....twice first with the black ford plug then with the blue international... Same problem still persists it will start after about 6 cranks the first 1/2 second or so it runs good then the CEL light comes on and it runs REALLY rough. The wait to start and everything else works, the tach registers when cranking and running. Cleaned the pins to the ECM/PCM, still the same problem. I am losing money everyday this truck sits, I might have to pay this guy and take it to the stealership. YIKES!! I do know what caused it to finally puke...I payed it off last week!!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Does the guy working on it have a scanner that will do an injector buzz test? This does not sound like a cam sensor issue. How is the oil level? whens the last time it was changed? Can the guys scanner read PID's like ICP pressure.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy

A Further up date, i changed the oil, maybe a quart low if that, I bought a "flush" additive that you run in it for 5-10 minutes then change in case it was Gunked. I completly drained the oil, changed the filter, added 14 quarts of 15W-40. Restarted. no change..still CEL comes on and it runs rough..the Guy has an OTC scanner and the code that comes up is P0344 "intermiitant Cam sensor" thats the ONLY one that shows up. the wiring harness on the outside at least is good (not melted or torn) Any help and your continued help is appreciated.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke Techie

You have mail.

Also if he has an OTC genysis he should be able to do an injector buzz test and a cylnder contribution test. That will tell him if there is any injector or injector wiring problems.

I sent you diag sheet for intermittent cam sensor
Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM
The Fat Mod

Put another quart of oil in it for a total of 15 and see what that does.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Deffinatly need to run injector tests.

I dont know if you've already done so, but i'm thinking your going to need to pull the valve covers...

you can usually see either a burnt or disconected wire under there too.

I've heard you can even start the truck with the v covers off and see if an injector is not fireing. I've not done it myself so maybe someone else can verify if and how that can be done.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question

I thought that if you "overfill" the oil it isn't good for the truck, what would adding another quart confirm? Can anybody tell me if it is okay to run it without the valve covers on? Luckily i have all day tommorow off. I suppose after pulling the valve covers I need to get new gaskets?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:16 AM
The Fat Mod

All powerstrokes take 15 qts unless you are running something that I am not aware of. But, both 7.3 and 6.0s take 15 qts, and that could cause problems. I know you said it showed a qt low earlier. If you will put some information in your signature, it will help in the future. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.