run's for an hour or so then start's to die - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
run's for an hour or so then start's to die

Hello, I have an 02' 7.3 powerstroke diesel with 135,000 on it. Driving up the highway yesterday and I start losing power(pedal to the floor and it keeps slowing down). Come to a stop and shut it down for 5 minutes, start it up and drive it for maybe 30 miles and it starts dying again. This time I have to let it sit longer before it will get going again. Just had the oil changed and had the cam shaft sensor replaced 2 years ago. Replaced the fuel filter twice this summer, because of this problem, and just replaced it again and it's still stalling. Any help would be great and I thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the fuel pump is on its way out. I had those exact same symptoms with a chevy gasser fuel pump once, when it started to heat up the bearings would get tight and slow the pump down.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 PM

there have been several org members that have had the same problem with their 7.3's, including me, ended up being the IDM. check codes if you can before replacing it cuz it is a rather expensive.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:23 PM

/\ second that my IDM took a dump on me this summer. but since its still drivable im not sure its the IDM . pull the codes and youll be able to narrow it down. there will be codes even if the SES light isnt on.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliford View Post
/\ second that my IDM took a dump on me this summer. but since its still drivable im not sure its the IDM . pull the codes and youll be able to narrow it down. there will be codes even if the SES light isnt on.
a bad IDM still allows you to drive around, you just had random losses of power as he described............
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM

yea when mine went out it was only showing symptoms for a week until it completely took a crap and i could start it and thats about it. would an idm go bad and last from summer until now?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcaveman
Sounds like the fuel pump to me too. Im still learning but sounds like its not able to keep up with the fuel demand that is used during driving. I e More Fuel. So its using up what is in the bowl and isnt replacing it fast enough. But definitly pull the codes first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.