Help/advice please, truck died on interstate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Help/advice please, truck died on interstate

Here's my situation: I leave my house and get on the interstate, almost as soon as I hit 55mph I notice my truck is slowing down. I give it more gas but it just keeps decelerating. I can hear what sounds like electrical (relay?) clicking from under the dash rapidly, and the engine sounds very loud. As soon as I come to a stop, the truck shuts off. I try to restart, and it just chugs really bad, starts sometimes for maybe 10 seconds before dieing again. No check engine light came on. I haven't had a chance to check the fuses as its dark and I didn't have a flashlight with me, and my truck didn't come with an owners manual from the last owner so I have no idea what fuse is what.

Little background/info I think may be useful in finding a solution. About 6 months ago had the fuel tank pulled down and cleaned out as I was having a problem with losing power and it had plenty of gunk in it. Worked fine after that. All my recalls are up to date as of 2 months ago, new CPS sensor and cruise control harness. I did however go through some deep water when we had some heavy flooding about a month ago, but truck hasn't given me any problems. GPR was replaced last week with Stancor as my old one was reading low voltage and truck was starting slow in the mornings. I'm a little low on fuel, it is between 1/4 mark and empty, never gone all the way to "E". I drained the water seperator and tried to start again, but with same problem. My truck is also completely stock, and has been getting regular maintenance (oil changes, fuel filters, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my truck is on the side of the interstate. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Small update: my roomate works for advance auto parts and brought me a CPS sensor. I know I should only use Ford/International sensors, but all dealerships are closed right now and I was hoping that would be it. After changing it, it actually started but was running very rough. I let it warm up and then tried to get it home but it wont even get above 1k rpm's. Just chugs/ runs extremely rough and is spewing out smoke from the tailpipe (smells like fuel). REALLY not wanting to tow it to the dealership. Please help...
Old 12-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

wow there is alot to check run an injector buzz test etc etc check all electrical make sure theres plenty of fuel pressure and the pump is working right it could turn into a big deal hopefully its something small though good luck
Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

also your gauge on your gauge cluster shows you having oil pressure right cuz you wont get a check engine light for that you have to read the gauge
Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, oil pressure is normal, slightly higher than halfway on the gauge. Will try to do more testing tomorrow when I have some daylight. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How long since you changed your fuel filter?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Find someone with a scanner. Sounds like the way mine acted when the under valve cover wiring harness came loose. Keep us posted.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
also if the intank pick up is cracking or sucking air, it happens at approx 1/4 tank. Thats where the hutch mod comes in. Make sure you have fuel getting pumped upto pressure.
Maybe fill up 2 five gallon jugs and add it. Get it closer to 1/2 tank. Cant hurt if you have the jugs.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I got it towed to where I work (thank you for towing through USAA). I put about 8 gallons worth of fresh diesel in and started it. It ran rough for about a minute and then cleared up and went back to running smooth again. It's been about 10K miles since I last changed the fuel filter. I pulled it out and it wasn't too bad, but definitely not clean looking, and there was a little sediment in the bottom of the bowl. So I cleaned out the bowl, but a new fuel filter in, and then poured fresh diesel in the bowl. Filled up at the gas station and drove home.
On the way home it still wasn't acting 100%. All gauges are reading normal, still no CEL, but it still sounded louder than usual and would shake/shudder when I would get around 30-40mph. I'll be testing the fuel injectors and fuel pump next I think.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrownmk View Post
Well I got it towed to where I work (thank you for towing through USAA). I put about 8 gallons worth of fresh diesel in and started it. It ran rough for about a minute and then cleared up and went back to running smooth again. It's been about 10K miles since I last changed the fuel filter. I pulled it out and it wasn't too bad, but definitely not clean looking, and there was a little sediment in the bottom of the bowl. So I cleaned out the bowl, but a new fuel filter in, and then poured fresh diesel in the bowl. Filled up at the gas station and drove home.
On the way home it still wasn't acting 100%. All gauges are reading normal, still no CEL, but it still sounded louder than usual and would shake/shudder when I would get around 30-40mph. I'll be testing the fuel injectors and fuel pump next I think.
Can you get it scanned? It may save you a lot of looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.