Start problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Start problem

My 2000 PSD is fairly new to me.

A couple weeks ago when it got pretty cold here, I thought I would try plugging it in to see how it helped. It has been cold before and never any problems starting. This time however, it just cranked over. The WTS came on and went out like normal but it wouldn't start. I turned the key all the way off and tried again and it started right up.

I passed it off as just a wierd event and didn't think about it again until this morning. This morning it was fairly cold (had to scrape the windows so ~30F). I didn't have it plugged in this time but did have the same problem. After I waited for the WTS to go out and then some, it just cranked. Remembering the incident a couple weeks ago, I turned the key all the way off and then tried again and it started right up.

Should I be concerned? Batteries and terminals are in great shape.

Thanks,
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
You may just need to let the glow plugs warm a little longer on colder days, or you could have an intermitten problem with the glow plug relay (contacts not making all the time). If I were you i would runs some checks on the glow plug relay. There are some trouble shooting procedures in the tech files that will help you.

Jim
Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tip. This morning, I cranked right away to see if the tach would move. It did but no fire what-so-ever.

Next, I turned the key off and back on and let the glowplugs warm for just a few seconds and tried again. The tach moved again, and this time it fired but wouldn't start.

Last, I turned the key off and back on and let the glowplugs do there thing. This time it started up right away.

This gave me the same idea that you suggested of a likely glow plug relay problem. I'll check out the tech files and see what they say. I was just going to feel the relay to see if I could feel it click with the first attempt compared to the second attempt.

Something I noticed in my quick diagnostics is that the tach doesn't start showing revolutions for about a 1/2 second of cranking. I am assuming this is normal since the CMP needs a chance to pickup the weights/magnets (or whatever it senses).

I'll keep people posted on my findings.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just so you know, glow plugs can remain activated longer then the wait-to-start light stays on, up to 2 min.

So check the relay first because you say you have to cycle the key a few time to start, probably working the relay untill it gets a good connection.

you can check it with a voltmeter, if your adventureous, of if it dont start at all, use jumpercables across the big posts on the relay. works great in a bind.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

glowplug relay not activated by key

This problem sounds similiar to mine, although I dont get the relay activated by turning the key, I have to actually go & put pliers to get the current on the plugs to heat & start. I do this & it works fine & starts right up. Is there a key/swithc built in the column that might cause this problem? trying the key twice leke mentioned above made me thing about this...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the signal side of the relay getting power when the key is on? If so, it is the relay, if not, it is further up the circuit. I don't think it is in the column.

"The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is programmed to turn the "WAIT" to start light on and energize the glow plugs (via the glow plug relay) each time the ignition switch is placed in the "ON" position prior to starting an engine."

I'd try to find the pin out on the PCM that activates the relay and start there.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the problem again a few mornings ago and this time I was armed with my test light. Sure enough, bad relay. A trip to the local International store and $58 later is all it took to get a new one. Swap out was straight forward and easy.

Truck started nice and easy this morning.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
good deal. glad to see ya got her fixed. I might go buy one of those relays and just keep it in the glove box with my CPS that is on standby. I kept my old serpentine belt as a just in case thing as well. I am kinda like a pack rat. I always have tools and supplies in my truck. comes in handy for me but more handy for the stranded souls on the highway that I stop for from time to time.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.