need new engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need new engine

Just got my first diesel a month and a half ago. Ran great. Now, the EBPV keeps coming on, even after 10 min or more of driving. I go on highway for half hr, come into the next town, EBPV starts cycling again as i go through town. In short, I need a grand of repairs, and just found out I got a bad cylinder.

Here's the dilemma, a reman cost what I paid for the truck. I know i could have a 12V Cummins put in... my dream, but have been thinking of going back to gas. Where can I get mounts to drop a 460 in a '99 super duty? I can build a really wicked 460 for half the cost, but I'd get 8 mpg. right now it has no guts, and smokes like a 2 stroke. (Used 4 qts of oil in last 2 tanks of fuel.)

I was going to do a poll, don't know how.

1. reman 7.3
2. Cummins
3. 460

What do you all think?

At least it will run as is for a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM

how do you mean bad cylinder? as in bad injector, or you've lost compression? as far as the EBPV goes, just unplug it to keep it from closing.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Man half price to build a 460 sounds sweet but then think of that 8 mpg you just wrote...
If your gonna change motors put a diesel in it, and I love powerstrokes but if you put a cummins in there and put bully dog predator programmer on it and youll see mpg's of 20-22!!!
And if you get rid of the 7.3 motor sell me the spider pipe off the turbo first dibbs!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
how do you mean bad cylinder? as in bad injector, or you've lost compression? as far as the EBPV goes, just unplug it to keep it from closing.
Agreed. These 7.3's are BULLET PROOF. You probably just have a bad injector. Have you had a compression test done?
As for the EBPV, yes unplug it. Many just do the EBPV delete and remove it all together.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If you have smog in your area, good luck getting it to pass with the 460.

I also hope you have a manual trans truck, because controlling the E40D will be a nightmare.

There is also no throttle cable on your truck, that would need to be added.

You'd need a different steering pump to run the hydroboost or convert it to vacuum brakes.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
Just got my first diesel a month and a half ago. Ran great. Now, the EBPV keeps coming on, even after 10 min or more of driving. I go on highway for half hr, come into the next town, EBPV starts cycling again as i go through town. In short, I need a grand of repairs, and just found out I got a bad cylinder.

Here's the dilemma, a reman cost what I paid for the truck. I know i could have a 12V Cummins put in... my dream, but have been thinking of going back to gas. Where can I get mounts to drop a 460 in a '99 super duty? I can build a really wicked 460 for half the cost, but I'd get 8 mpg. right now it has no guts, and smokes like a 2 stroke. (Used 4 qts of oil in last 2 tanks of fuel.)

I was going to do a poll, don't know how.

1. reman 7.3
2. Cummins
3. 460

What do you all think?

At least it will run as is for a while...

whoa whoa, hold on man.... how do you know a cylinder is gone? any codes? what color is the smoke?

unless your bitter to the PSD, how bout we try to resolve this for you? with what little info i have, it sounds like it could be as simple as it needs new injector orings ($55 fix)
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

yea, I'd deffinatly want to know more, b4 I consdered a rebuild or swap!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 AM

No compression test yet, $300 right before Christmas. Guy at schied diesel in Lafayette, IN said he suspects a scored cylinder. Smoke is kinda grey, has a diesel smell, like it's unburned fuel. Engine shakes bad at 1500 rpm, smooths out at 2grand, so it cruises down the road at 65/70 mph OK. Read dog at part throttle in town. Wish I had manual control of the 4R100. Got 230K on it, but I bought it because it was rust free. New wheels, stereo, leer cap, Ranch hand on front, boom, engine goes.

Did I mention my father-in-law's nickname for me... "**** Magnet"? Got blowed up in Iraq in '05, other than coming home in one (sorry) piece, (Thank you God) everything since then, poop. Hell, I found out the Army retired me... by e-mail!

Got to drive to Chicago today for a VA appt at West Side.... hope the damn thing fits in the parking garage.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

cummins all the way
Old 12-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

12 valve cummins with the P7100 pump and mechanical lift pump. Call DeStroked for the adapter plates and motor mounts, and put a real diesel under the hood.

Better MPG, less moving parts, more bottom end torque. Can be re-sprung for 4k rpm governor operation.

DeStroked also sells any harness adapters you might need to make all your stock gauges work properly.

Good luck.

I have been contemplating going the same route with my 01 550, as it is on its 3rd engine, and I've lost count of how many injectors, glow plugs, GPR's, and so on. It isn't worth the fight anymore. I like the truck, but the engine has to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.