2000 7.3 powerstroke wont start in cold or? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 powerstroke wont start in cold or?

Ok so I am new to the this forum so here it goes. first off I am sorry for the story.

I just purchased another F350 Ford I have a couple diesels and I love them until now!

I looked for a while for another 7.3 powerstroke with low miles So when I found one with 60k mles that was a one owner and lifted I bought it. Its a 2000 ford F350 crewcab longbed, 60k miles perfect shape, 10in lift 42in tires. any way,The guy drove it from Miami Fl to Oklahoma cty to meet me and then I drove it to from there to colorado.

Now when I drove it home the check engine light would come on when I was going up big hills getting on the gas then ounce n a while flicker. about 400miles into my drive the truck just dies on me at 85mph. So I pull over and it wasn't easy,I turn the truck off and boom it starts up just fine and I drive on. So I am on my way again a few miles down the road in Colorado I get pulled over for doing 95mph in a 55 I explain to the officer that I just purchased the truck and the tires must have it all screwed up and my speedo said 65mph and it did , So he lets me go with a warning and says he likes the truck! so any way I get home at 3 am its kind of cold so I look for the block heater cord and I cant find it so I went inside.

The next morning I go out side and it wont start. So I look for the plug and I found it stashed behind the bumper so I plug it in an hour latter it starts up.
So I take it directly to one of the best diesel shops in town and drop it off and asked them to check it from top to bottom and if it needs anything to fix it. winter is coming and its 15deg and getting colder. Today was -6

Again Sorry for the story.

So they go out side start it up and check it out and it starts fine they take it in the shop they don't plug it in that night and it wont start. so now the fun stuff
So they call me I tell them plug it in and it will start so they do a dio on it and a couple codes pop up.

First They said the oil is crap so the do an engine purge and cleaners and then they say it needs Glow plugs and gp wiring harness and a Glow plug relay and new valve cover gaskets, then the next day it wont start so I asked them to replace the cam positioning censor just to be safe, so they did, then they said it needed an alternator and new batteries. so they replaced the alt and the cpc and guess what it still wont start when its cold.so they replace the batteries and it still wont start.

So now 2 weeks latter $3500+ I am still having the same problem.

They start checking the wiring and found a couple bad conections at the fuel pump so they cleaned them up plugged them back in and boom it starts up again just fine runs for hours and pops no codes. They said it was sluggish so they would do a fuel system flush so They perform a fuel flush and it runs fine. Its late so they call me with the good news and tell me they want to keep it over night and check it in the am so they can just be 100% sure its ok. So today they call me and say guess what it wont start!!!!!They tell me they are going to check all of the computers and relays and pull the inner fender well out and check the pcm . So now it is still sitting in the shop and it is still not running and I still dont have my new toy. So does anyone have any ideas at all??

Again sorry for the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

holy crap... get it out of that shop.... i was leanin towards they were hosin you but when i read this,
Quote:
and pull the inner fender well out and check the pcm
i KNEW... the PCM is in the Cab....

when you say it just doesnt start when its cold, what does it do? does it not crank or does it crank and never start?

Quote:
Glow plugs and gp wiring harness and a Glow plug relay and new valve cover gaskets,
GP wiring harness?? why?! im tellin you, get it out of that shop, they are hosin you....
Old 12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

I turn the key and it just turned over over and over,,It would never start, Then I plugged it in drove it down there just fine and now it still wont start, Now it did just make a 3600 mile trip just fine. Well one problem on the high way but thats it. They told me they pulled the inner fender well out on the driver side to clean what ever is under there.... Sorry I have never dug into the wirring on any of my 7.3s ,, Honestly I have never had this problem with any 7.3 I have had 14 of them 2 of them had over 500k miles and all they needed was the typical tranny turbo injectors glow plugs but never electrical issues!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
The IDM is in the fender well. What codes was it throwing? Is the truck tuned?
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 PM

the IDM is in the fender but theres nothin really to clean...

i forgot if you mentioned, does it smoke while its cranking?? what color?
when it finally starts, does it have a big cloud of smoke? and what color is that?

i know its sounds dumb on what color the smoke is but that can tell you if its fuel or oil or nothing at all...
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

It is black smoke,When it runs it runs perfect no smoke no lack of power, It gets good gas mileage,I drove it from Okc to Denver on 1 and 1/4 tanks of fuel so it was getting 20 or so on the road. The truck is all stock as far as the computer or major mods It has a 4in exhaust and an cold air intake.The truck has 60k miles

As I said it has been in the shop for 2 weeks so I dont know what its doing now. All I know is 2 weeks $3500 and its doing the same thing it was when I dropped it off. I am getting ready to loose it. What sucks its a friends shop and the mechanic is one of the best. There has also been a couple ford heavy line techs over there and they cant figure it out.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:53 PM

weird...black smoke and it wont fire...

can you get them to give you the codes they got? that could help alot...

honestly, im kinda stumped as well....
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Well it was showing several different codes then they flushed the system and a couple dropped off then the glow pugs and so on and now its not throwing any codes and it wont start. Whats strange is it started happening when it got colder. HE told me they were checking all of the electrical connections just to make sure the were clean and everything was connected ok after finding the wires at the fuel pump making a bad connection..The truck has 42in supper swampers and the rattle and hum down the road. The prior owner said he never had any issues in FL. Maybe its high altitude. I do know its not a cali truck
Old 12-12-2009, 12:09 AM

have they checked the Glow plug system?? (sorry if you already mentioned it) bein that it was from florida, it may have bad GPs and/or a bad GPR that would never be noticed down in that warm weather....

i should have mentioned that earlier, it really sounds like thats the culprit...

EDIT: im retarded... i remember that now.... do you know for sure they changed the GP's??
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Premium Member

Yes as I said new glow plugs new glow plug relay new and updated wiring harness.I went down there when they were installing them and I watched them for an hour or so. the also replaced the cam positioning sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.