Why did I get a Diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why did I get a Diesel?

Can someone remind me why I got a diesel and why I would ever buy one again? Every winter I have starting issues, here it sits in my drive while I go to town in a Chrysler Sebring convertible to get fuel for my Kubota tractor that is also a diesel so that I can finish moving snow from the house to the barn. The Kubota L4300DT sits outside NOT plugged in and starts EVERY time. Is it really worth all these issues? The cost for me to run it is not cheaper than a gas motor, my son has an old 93 Dodge W250 with the Magnum V8, starts like a charm.

My truck is a 2001 F350 Dually Crew Cab 4x4, it does have 290,000 miles on it, but I feel I've paid very well for every one of them!

Sorry for venting, I feel somewhat better now.

The temperature is -2, just west of Des Moines, IA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You are comparing apples to oranges to grapes. A gas engine will start easier it has spark plugs. It doesn't depend on heat and compression to fire up. You tractor has a different compression ratio and probably has better glow plugs. when was the last time you had to service your glow plug system?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:40 AM

When you live in a climate where temps go below freezing, you need to winterize your truck in the fall before winter hits. this is a fact of life with diesels. they cost more to maintain. if you don't need a diesel, sell it and buy a gasser.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
When you live in a climate where temps go below freezing, you need to winterize your truck in the fall before winter hits. this is a fact of life with diesels. they cost more to maintain. if you don't need a diesel, sell it and buy a gasser.
agreed... in that kinda weather you need to be running lighter oil, and make sure your GPS, batts, etc are in tip top shape. If your truck is not starting in cold weather, then you have a problem. These trucks are designed to start in cold weather....... without being plugged in. And with 290k on the clock...she's got some age. Injectors are tired, etc. Tired injectors and cold weather don't mix well.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM

what all intales in winterizeing a diesel. i have a 2000 7.3 with 213,000 miles. i dont drive it much in the winter, i have a honda i drive in the winter and around to save on fuel. Its pluged in when its at home.

What do i need to do to winterize my rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsr View Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Switch to a lighter weight oil like a 5w40 diesel rated synthetic. Also test your glow plug relay. Those are notorious for failing on a 7.3
Old 12-10-2009, 10:08 AM

ok

cool. i just replaced the glow plug relays and batteries. so all i have to do is switch the oil weight. i can do that cause i need to change mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Switch to a lighter weight oil like a 5w40 diesel rated synthetic. Also test your glow plug relay. Those are notorious for failing on a 7.3
Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM

NCHornet has posted winterization tips in another thread. you'll have to use the search function, I have a.d.d, lol
Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the responses, didn't mean to attack the 7.3 crowd it just gets frustrating. I'll review the winterizing thread to see what I need to address. Thanks for the helpful insight!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Glow plugs themselves could be bad. If you'd rather test them than replace them, pull the valve covers and the plugs, hook the uninstalled plug to the harness, and turn the key. All those not beat red within about 5 seconds are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.