Newbie! First Diesel, Need Advice! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie! First Diesel, Need Advice!

OK, here goes. This is my first post and I need some advice. Iíll try not to make it too long.
I just bought my first diesel, 95 F250 Ext Cab 4x4 7.3L, E4OD, 4:10 gears, 207000 miles.
Owner said it sat for last 3 years, drove maybe 10 miles a month.

My problem is it sounds like it has too much rattle in the engine especially after shifting to 2nd & 3rd. Seems to have plenty of power but not a lot of get up and go. I drove a 96 and it had a lot more pep when shifting.

Oil pressure gage reads steady between the o and the r in NORMAL, which is less than midway. Starts good. Doesnít seem to miss or hesitate. Just sluggish and a lot of rattle. I was told 95s were like that.

Had local truck shop run a scan on it and they said it has 5 cylinders low on contribution test.

My question is, should I just replace all the injectors and if so, maybe upgrade them and to what size?

Or, hereís what Iím thinking: since it sat for so long, replace all filters and fluids, check hpop pressure, do the fuel pressure regulator shim mod, intake 46637 mod, ebpv delete, 3Ē down pipe, and muffler delete and then have it scanned again.

If the injectors are bad will doing these mods put my engine at risk for more damage?

Also, the mileage sucks. Havenít got specifics yet but probably between 10 and 12 mpg. Also has very slow fuel leak on top of engine.

I am going to use this truck as daily driver and occasionally to pull 28í 5th wheel and 18í boat singly and in tandem. My main objective is mileage.

Am I thinking right or should I start with the injectors first? Or would sitting for 3 years even cause any of these problems?

Iíve been reading these forums and you guys seem to have been through it all so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long but Iím not sure where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke Techie

In those years 94.5-97, injector o-rings were a big problem. I would imagine if it has sat for the last three years they havent been replaced. I would find someone (or if you can do it) that can do a compression test on it first. With that high of mileage and having that many fail contribution I would get a compression test done, if it passes I would do injector o-rings and run it, then redo a contribution test, then if there are still some failing go after the injectors. Since you have to take the valve covers off to the compression test and to replace the injector o-rings it would be easier to do both at the same time. But I would for sure have a compression test done first.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 AM

I can do the compression test but I'll need the specs to go by. I'll see if I can find a post with the details. Wouldn't low compression or injector o-rings cause hard starting? I thought I read that somewhere. I'm waiting to get my F150 back from the garage before I can take this one down so I'm trying to figure out a plan of attack to minimize downtime. Should get it back anyday now. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

low compression on a couple of cylinders would cause hard starting, 1 cylinder probaly not. Injector o-rings casuing a hard start not necesarilly (forgive my spelling). I have replaced some that where completly shot and it started just fine. Compression should be 370-400, 350 would be you very low side.

Also when was the last time the oil was changed, if it has been a while the oil could be aeriating and causing alot of your problems.

If you pull your fuel filter out and drain the bowl. Wipe the inside of the housing with a rag. If it changes from a dark grey/blackish color to a shiny aluminum color you need to replace your o-rings. that is oil in your fuel that is leaking past the o-rings into your fuel system.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:35 AM

I changed the oil last week but not the filter. I had the fuel filter open yesterday and cleaned the screen @ the regulator, I'm thinking either the fuel or the walls of the housing had a greenish tint to it. Never paid alot of attention to which it was. I'll get back in there and see. I found the thread where I read o-rings cause hard starting and it said they will cause hard cold starting and I had to plug it in a couple of days ago because it wouldn't start. After about an hour it started right up. That was the first time it wouldn't start but I've only had it for two weeks. I'll wipe the fuel filter housing and see what it looks like. I just got off work @ 6:00 so I'm going to bed. I'll check that out this afternoon and see if I can find out how to do a compression test. Done a thousand on gassers but none on diesels. I'm not even sure where to put the gage on a diesel. I'll figure it out though. Thank You.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM
im fat and ugly

Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Didn't get to work on my truck yesterday, (Mom's Birthday). Didn't get my F150 back either. I'm going to library & get manual to read up on compression test. I'm going to check the filter housing this afternoon. Get back with you as soon as I determine something.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Keep us posted, and welcome to powerstroke.

Gord.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to House22
on a psd you pull the valve covers off and pull the glow plugs out and thread the compression tester there in the glow plug hole. PSd injs last avg of 125k-150k miles O rings might help put with it setting id want to say the internals of the injectors are dirty and woren the popet valve. If you come to the rally Saturday we can talk more
Old 03-21-2007, 12:08 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the Forum!

We used to have a '95 at work and it was definatly louder than my '97.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.