Gotta be a fuel PROBLEM!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gotta be a fuel PROBLEM!!

please bear with me..... i just got my 99 7.3 back from the dealer for an injector and fuel filter gasket. CHACHING!! $.... so now the truck is running better. for about a day or so. out of nowhere the truck starts chugging and clanking like half the motor just fell off, but it continues to barely run and idle. i make it home doing 10 mph. it dies as i pull it in the driveway. i start it back up and it runs 100% perfectly fine..... the next day its still running ok and i just drive it around the block a couple of times to see if i can get it to happen again, and it does. shut it off start it up, fine again. so i notice that when the truck is acting up and i try to start it, the fuel pump is humming really loud when the key is turned on. when the truck starts up fine the pump makes no noise. OK, so i need a fuel pump. the dealer wants to replace the pump, the screens inside my tank and they wanna send my tank away to have it "refinished" by a radiator shop as they feel it is flaking off inside or some crap. all this for only $1600 and not even looking at the truck. i feel like i should purchase some anal lube before i revisit the dealer. my local mechanic wants to change the fuel pump and go from there. what do you guys think? is the dealer ripping me off? is my mechanic not looking into this deeply enough? is this common? thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

I believe you have a plastic tank, it takes about 4 hours on the long side to drop it and pressure wash it yourself, while you have it out, you can do the Hutch and Harpoon mods to it, and tank problem solved. I'm no tech, but it almost sounds like your getting air coming through and causing the pump to run wild trying to pull fuel up, but as I say, I'm no tech.

And Welcome to Powerstroke.org, glad to have you here with us, and we'll see if we can get you all fixed up. Don't forget to go to introductions and meet the rest of the folks, there a great bunch here.

Gord.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Like Gord, I'm not a tech, so I can't help you with your problem, but I can say:
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

funny you say it might be air in the line because my normal mechanic thinks the "tech" at the dealer did not prime the system correctly after having it apart doing the injector the other day.
can these fuel pumps have this intermittent problem?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

The system in the Powerstroke is really bad for sucking air into the system through the fittings coming from the tank to the pump, and possibly that could be the problem. Usually, after about 50miles, the system will clean itself out of any air from a repair like that, but yours sounds like a different problem. You either have a massive air leak into the system, or the pump itself under the cab is on its way out for it to be doing that, and if it has a leak that bad, I think you would see fuel under the truck. But, as I said, I am not a tech, and one of them will be able to shed more insight into the problem.

Gord.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i appreciate the reply. i think im beyond a little air in the line. i dont have a fuel leak i think and hope its just the pump under the frame rail just taking a dump. hopefully an easy fix. they are a bit pricey though.
i dont wanna have to take the tank down and take it apart. doesnt sound like much fun.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

It's actually not too bad a job, and as I said, it's a good opportunity to do some other things as well. The Harpoon mod takes the filler and air tubes off as close to the tank as possible, therefore when you fill the tank, it fills almost to the top before spitting back at you. The Hutch mod moves the return line in the tank away from the pickup intake, removing a source of air from the fuel, as well as changing the intake line in the tank to simplify the system, removing more possible air leaks. If you decide to do this, let me know and I will give you some links for them..

Gord.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

some links to that would be great!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here is one for ya to look at! Actually there is alot of great info on this site.Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Web Page
Im sure Gord will have some more good info to share with ya when he is back online
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Harpoon mod (In Tank Mod) Harpoon Mod.

http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid.............This is one way of doing the Hutch Mod.

ITP High Performance Diesel another way of doing the same thing.

Hope that helps you out there man.

Hey Vital, any news on the parts yet?

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.