Fuel Pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump

So me and the wifey are goin to her school so she can fill out some Finanicial aid papers. We leave the house and get to the first stop sign and the truck starts chuggin like its running out fuel, so I step on it and try to get it to clear up and then it justs dies like it ranout of fuel. I tried cranking it to no avail. Pulled the fuel filter and no fuel in the fuel bowl. Climbed underneath the truck while the ole' lady turned the key and no sound was coming from the fuel pump. Call roadside service and over an hour and half later the roll-back finally showed up. Take it to the dealer and says they dont have very many diesel techs so it may take a while. The only reason its at the dealership is because I have an extended warranty and they will cover it and all I have to pay is the $50 deductible. So short story longer I have no truck for a few days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 09:24 PM

So the service advisor calls today and says the fuel pump is working but wants to try puttin fuel in it cus since its workin it should be blowing bubbles or doing something. Gauge reads 1/2 tank. I know there is fuel in it. So now does anybody know what is going on with this dam thing??
Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredpowerstroke View Post
So the service advisor calls today and says the fuel pump is working but wants to try puttin fuel in it cus since its workin it should be blowing bubbles or doing something. Gauge reads 1/2 tank. I know there is fuel in it. So now does anybody know what is going on with this dam thing??
You would think that it would run if the pump is working. I don't know Maybe a fuse
Old 03-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

With an empty fuel bowl and assuming the dealer with limited diesel techs actually knows that the fuel pump is working ( a dry fuel pump should sound like a swarm of bees coming at you ), my thoughts would be plugged intake screen and / or mixer screens. The tank would need to be dropped and the pickup assembly inspected. If the screens are plugged, the fuel pump should also be removed and have the intake of the pump cleaned.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzle View Post
With an empty fuel bowl and assuming the dealer with limited diesel techs actually knows that the fuel pump is working ( a dry fuel pump should sound like a swarm of bees coming at you ), my thoughts would be plugged intake screen and / or mixer screens. The tank would need to be dropped and the pickup assembly inspected. If the screens are plugged, the fuel pump should also be removed and have the intake of the pump cleaned.
I had no swarm of bees coming at me. I got under the truck and put my ear to the fuel pump and had the old lady turn the key and nothing. When the servise advisor called me I thought it was strange that he said it was working.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Even if the screens are plugged. there should still be noise coming from the pump, I would think. Sounds like the pump is bad.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I'm thinking you have some poo in your tank and it is goofing up your pump. My pump is LOUD and ON while I'm waiting for the Wait to Start light to go off. I think your dealer techs are a bunch of poo-poo heads. (At least a lot of 'em are!) It blows me away that the dealer will try to work on a diesel w/out a Diesel Tech on hand. Goobers!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 PM

I got my truck back back and guess what???? Fuel pump just like I said. I asked the Service advisor about it and he said that it was running electricly but not physically. Whatever dude. Only reason I took it there is cus my extended warranty only covers 50$ and Im a cheap bastard. And would you believe they charged 3 hours to change out the fuel pump. Oh well at least the extended warranty covered most of it.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM

So i get up this morning to go to work and I get about 5 blocks from the house and the damm thing goes out again. :rain::rant::rant::rant:
Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to therealdgh Send a message via MSN to therealdgh Send a message via Yahoo to therealdgh
At least it's better than mine. Mine died Sunday and today they called me in and showed me that the pump shaft and rod from the O-ring down fell into the engine! He showed me the pump and it was just broken off right there, the housing and rod.

Now, I have to drop the pan to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.