rough idle at start lots of smoke and rough running till warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rough idle at start lots of smoke and rough running till warm

I almost hate to post this since it's my 1st post. I've read for two days all over this board and I've found many similar posts but all are a little different then my problem. on top of that I really haven't read where the problem got fixed and what fixed it. just alot of check this and that. so?

I bought this truck a couple weeks ago 99 f350 7.3 manual I also have no history of anything of service and To be honest I do not know much about diesel engines and all the short abbreviations guys give for parts. it's become a crash course in diesel repair for me.

my problem with the truck and any replies are appreciated.

go out to truck in morning. truck fires right up but a really rough idle missing and smokes really bad "smoke is of a white color and has a bad smell of diesel in the air" . let truck idle for any length of time and it still has same problem. Start Driving and it's very diffucult to drive missing and smoking but the longer you drive it like this it slowley starts to get better and then starts running just fine and will continue to run fine. Shut the truck down for a short length of time and it start right back up and runs fine. Shut the truck down for longer length of time "enough for engine to cool down" and the same problems comes back. rough idle and running and smokes till you drive for a few.

If I plug the truck in overnight "60%f nights" . it's starts just fine again and though it has a slight miss it's nothing like when it's not plugged in. It looks like from what I've been reading and learning is that it's possibly my valve covers/wiring.

The 1st thing I did was change the oil and It still has the problem.
Thoughts ? truck has 127k miles on it. 1999 f350

When I bought the truck it was already running when I arrived.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by steve_poe; 11-12-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2000 f350 7.3L with 314,xxx miles, has the same issue, I hope someone who knows replies soon.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do a current draw test on your glow plug relay. The current draw should be approx 160 amps initially, upon turning the key to the ON position.

Glow plugs draw about 20 amps each, so 160 is in the ballpark, could be a little more, mine is 174. If it is less than 160, you have some issues downstream toward the glow plugs. If it is 0, chances are your relay is toast. You should hear the relay click when you turn the key on.

I just did all of this on my 01 550, and although it still runs like a powerless bag of crap, it runs on all 8 when it starts now.

Good luck
Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
after it runs 30 seconds if it was glow plugs, that should clear out and be smooth unless its minus 10? I think. Look in the plug in top of the oil reservoir in the morning or after too long a waiting period for it to start. Oil should be at least to the sensor in the rear of this. Mines not, I am looking for the leak. These can leak internally.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 AM

But even wih an internal leak it should be fine after 2 minutes tops. Unless its more of a problemin there and with the injectors getting lazy. I am no pro. Others here will chime in.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On even a warm day it takes at least 30 minutes of idling to get it to where its drivable, (no power)then after I travel about 4 miles its like someone flipped a switch and it'll run fine from there on till I let it sit while I stop for a bite to eat, then it acts all rough again for a mile or so, and ...Poof, its running better again. I haul campers all over the country and many times i sleep in it at truck stops and rest areas, i dont really want to leave it run for 8 hours, but knowing it'll take 45 minutes after i wake up to get it rolling again is a pain. Fuel leaks can also be caused in the high pressure line that runs under the turbo to the bottom of the filter, I was coming home from PA last month and noticed my mileage was getting bad, i just figured it was cause i was in the mountains of Pa and i was lead footin to get home, but, on my next trip to CO, the line blew and blasted the turbo with fuel, thank God it didnt catch fire, what caused the leak was a line hold down clamp thats located on a mounting position for the turbo, passenger side, well from bouncing along for so many miles it finally wore through and popped the line, had to get it to a repair shop in Rock Island,IL found a great 24 hour repair shop, and 500 bucks later was on the road again.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the same rough running issue too. I have new glow plugs and relay, and still smokes white smoke in the mornings and after sitting for a few hours. If plugged in starts up fine with no smoke. I have come to the conclusion that it has something to do with valves.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:36 PM

why valves????
Old 11-14-2009, 03:44 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmount View Post
why valves????
sorry, meant the valve seals or rings. This is what a couple other guys have mentioned it might be, and considering I have 224,xxx on the truck.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

white smoke means water contamination in a gas motor, i dont know what it means in a diesel,.. on that point, mine does not smoke, just chugs like its on 4 cylinders, and has no power after idling for 30 minutes or more,plugged in or not, also, how do ya know if the block heater is even working? is there a indicator light I'm not aware of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.