Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Won't start

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  isaiahfronning 
#1 ·
2001 7.3L with about 290,000 on it. It has a tuner. I changed the oil and filter and changed the fuel filter. I cycled the key 3 times to fill the fuel bowl back up and started it. It ran good for about 5 minutes than started to loose a cylinder at a time until it quit. It will not start now. The fuel pump runs and fills the bowl up. I unhooked the ips and it still doesn't start. I replace the ipr today thinking it was not allowing enough pressure to open injectors but that did not help either. I am going to get a cps tomorrow to try. The wts light comes on when the key is cycled on. Is there a way to test the hpop? Any other ideas?

#2 ·
If the tachometer moves while it's cranking the CPS is working. If once it warms up it dies the CPS is bad. With that said, it should start once it cools off again. Fuse 22 controls the PCM and fuel heater in the fuel bowel if I remember correctly. If that becomes disconnected or the fuse blows it won't start. Check engine light on? Just some ideas or things to check. Good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#3 ·
It sounds a bit like what is going on with my truck. From the research that i'e done so far i'm leaning towards the fuel pump being weak and not producing enough pressure. I ordered some fittings from Dieselorings that will allow me to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel filter housing and see if the numbers confirm the guess. They are petty cheep and can stay there if future needs arrive.

#4 · (Edited)
STOP Guessing! ;)

There's a whole system in place ready to help you find the problem. If your gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it. Unfortunately it takes something other than a Generic OBD-II scanner, like the Auto Parts Stores use, to scan, test, and retrieve codes.

Here you have a couple of the most common choices;

1) If you want to do Everything you'll ever need to, then look at the AutoEnginuity + the Ford Enhanced Package (@ $350 - you add an old computer of some sort to run it with)

2) To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the Torque App (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version of ForScan with a USB adapter.

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...n/1044057-ford-superduty-diagnosis-cheap.html

This could be MANY things, but here's my usual No Start List;

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try? See below for how to tell if YOUR '01 should show this***

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check) Look above the pass ft tire, you'll see a 3/8" metal tube, against the motor that ends there, it's the drain for the bowl (yellow lever you slide to the side). Get a cup, open the lever, drain the fuel bowl, look at the fuel, close the lever. Then, turn the key to the ON position (should hear the pump) for 15 secs. Drain the fuel bowl again, whaddya got?

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

You can unplug the ICP sensor, as a Test, so the PCM sets a default value for the IPR to run on.

Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? That nut can vibrate off and allow the solenoid going over the valve to slide around. The wires going to the IPR can get brittle, crack, and short together. Make sure the plug & wires look in good shape.

*** On the some '01s and all Earlier -If you Do NOT have a trans temp gauge in the instrument cluster (means you have an "early '01" w/o the electrical upgrade) then you should see cranking rpm on the tach as you crank it on the starter (means the CPS is doing it's job)

#5 ·
I was not getting a signal from the cps so I replaced that but it still will not start. I took the fuel line off of the fuel pump from the tank and fuel flows nicely with a little pressure applied. I will have to get proper tools for diagnosing but I need it sooner than I will get them. I currently work at a parts store so the parts have been very reasonable so far.

#8 ·
Finely got to work on it again

I dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the pickup screens, that were almost completely covered. i replaced the electric fuel pump due to lack of fuel pressure from it. I cranked it over and it almost immediately fired but died due to not getting enough fuel to all cylinders. It did that a couple more times and than went back to the no smoke or acting like its getting any fuel again. What am I missing here?

#10 ·
Is it getting smoke out of the tailpipe? First thing, plug it in for a few hours and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, check the oil level. It only needs to be a few quarts low to not start. Also check the voltage while cranking. I think it's 10.5 volts where the pcm cuts out. If it has proper oil level, check the HPOP reservoir. Just take the allen head bolt off the top of the HPOP and stick the wrench in there to measure the level. If that doesn't have oil, fill it and see if it'll start. If that isn't it, just take the ICP sensor out and crank it for just a couple seconds to see if you're getting oil to it. But honestly, the best way is to put a scanner on it to get live data. It's really easy to do with a ELM327 bluetooth scan tool and the torquepro app. I had a no start on mine and my scan tool wouldn't even connect and it turns out the processor in the pcm was bad. I also suggest going to powerstroke.pw and go the the powerstroke assistance page. It has links to a ton of reliable and free sources of advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.