Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

99 7.3 cranks but no start

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
Ok guys I'm new to the forum have read lots of posts on this same issue but nothing I've tried has helped. Bought this truck from a guy at work said it was hard to start when cold. I've replaced gp's, Gpr, icp, and ipr and two brand new batteries. Also cleaned both ground points on block. Under cover gaskets were replaced a year ago according to him and they looked good and all connections tight when I did gp's. There are no frayed wires or loose connections that I can find. Truck cranks and puts out some smoke but just won't turn over. I have a wts light, pressure, oil in hpop good and Rpms bounce around 500 while cranking. I've tried unplugging several diff sensors and crank again still nothing. I don't have access to a scanner at this point so Any pointers will be greatly appreciated .

#4 ·
Does the oil pressure gauge on the dash eventually rise while cranking?
Did you check the fuel bowl to make sure it's being supplied?

#5 ·
500 rpm at cranking and "bouncing" sounds way off to me. Typical cranking rpm is around 180-200. UNLESS it's sputtering and trying to start that's causing that (you said it started to smoke), then I think I'd agree with the Cam sensor as stated above as the next point of attack.

#6 ·
Ahhh yea. Didn't see the part about the smoke. You should really try and get a scanner on it. See if it's throwing a p0341 cmp circuit, and view the rpm through data logger while cranking.
Do you have a black colored cmp sensor in there?

#7 ·
Finally got it started after being plugged in all day and multiple times cranking on it with jumper truck attached, disengaged glow plugs and small shot of ether. Added some hotshot secret stiction eliminator and drove for couple hours and then let truck run for a few more. It has started several times now but has to stay plugged in. (Gp hooked backed up) Temps are in the high 30's low 40's. I did get my hands on a snap on my 2500 scanner barrowed from a guy at work pulled codes

P0472 express snsr low
P0603 internal ctrl mod kam error
P1247 turbo boost pres low
P0269 cyl 3 contribution/balance fault ( this one worries me any thoughts?)

Also cmp is grey but brand new
Oil pressure gauge does rise and I am getting fuel icp pressure is 500 while idling and goes up to 2000 when punch throttle

#8 ·
Finally got it started after being plugged in all day and multiple times cranking on it with jumper truck attached, disengaged glow plugs and small shot of ether.
Others will certainly chime in on the troubleshooting, but please, please, never use ether on these engines. Not sure where you shot the ether in, but consider this, you have a huge intercooler up there that can fill with explosive mixture of ether and oxygen. Also, the ether tends to ruin the engines, just do a search on here, I am sure there has been ample discussion. On the old IDI's I have been known to use WD-40 as starting fluid, but never, never use ether (good job disconnecting the glow plugs though - you were thinking) But it truly isn't worth the risk regardless - other things can happen. Leave the ether to the gassers, doesn't matter what it says on the can.

#9 ·
Check for voltage drop across the GPR. What brand relay did you install? Could be a control issue not grounding the relay to energize the GPs.

I'd try jumping the large posts on the relay for at least 30 seconds and then try starting the truck.

#12 ·
could pull the valve covers off and have someone crank while you watch the injector exhaust spouts for oiling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.