Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Quick testing question

801 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dajedicc27 
#1 ·
Hay guys truck not starting when I spray it runs for like 30 sec. Ran the buzz test (passed) changed crank/cam sensor. Can I run the cct and it tell me if it passes if it only runs for 30 sec..

#2 ·
The run down on my 99 f350 cc drw six speed she has 63x,xxx miles engine "was" replaced at 577,xxx. Puck it up in January and started running like cap by Feb 3 grand later had the left bank injectors replace a and glow plug relay, and I think the ipr valve. Ran fine then the begin of July was driving down the freeway and she just woke up like I hit nitrous had all kinda of power then baulg down and wake up like 3 times. The next day she took longer to start and had a little white smoke and a funny smell my fuel light came on and I filed it up got 3 miles away started smoking a little more and a mile after that it was just white smoke behind me could not see any thing lost all Power and she died and thru no codes. I changed the fuel filter and cam sensor did the buzz test she ran for like 4 min then died then only 30 sec after that. The smoke smell was not an oil smell or an antifreeze smell. It was like an industrial smell and it runs like it's really advanced and 30 sec dies and still no codes. Any idea

#3 ·
But a CCT is about which clys are working say, "not-as-well" as others. This engine will actually run on 4 so I don't know how much you'll get from a CCT anyway...

You've gotta figure out why None of them are working ;)

Now you've asked another question about the HPOP Oil. Do you think it's maybe pumping the reservoir dry in that 30 secs? How about codes? If it were you'd certainly get a code for low ICP (what measures the HPOP output) if it were.

If there are no codes, and you're using the proper scanner for your truck, then you have to think about Fuel Delivery (no code gets set if you run-dry). As soon as it dies shut the key Off (so the pump stops) and open the water drain (yellow lever slides over behind the Filter Housing) and see if much fuel drains from the drain tube (3/8 metal tube attached to the motor you can see if you look over the top of the ft pass tire)

#4 · (Edited)
Had to charge the battery's will try that in the morning. Looked in the hpop and did not see any oil in it at all. So I'm going to service that also. Thanks for you help I'll let you know how it goes in the morning. Checked the oil and their was only a drop of oil on the stick. Red flag. Just had an the oil changed before it stopped running have like 500 miles on it. Where did the oil go my truck is clean underneath.

#5 ·
it burned it. i bet you have a bad injector and it burned it. The reason why it starts is because there is just enough oil in the pan to feed the pump (lpop and hpop), fire it up, and then no more oil in the pan and it quickly looses ICP and shuts the truck down. Top it off then you should be able to run it long enough to check cylinder balance rates. AKA perdels if it is a late 99. Early 99's dont have the PID in the computer to do so. What you can do though is a remove the valve cover and unhook one injector at a time to see which one it is possibly.

#6 ·
not starting when I spray it runs for like 30 sec...
What exactly are you spraying to get it to run for 30 seconds?

Also, Corey knows his stuff way more than I, but one other place your oil 'could' have gone is into your fuel tank. It won't run because of being low on oil, and the weird smell is burning oil mixed with fuel, which I will attest smells quite strange when burned in combination. A friend had this happen when his injector o-rings went out. Very easy to check - was the fuel in your fuel bowl discolored when you drained it to change the filter? I know my friend pumped so much oil (synthetic) into his fuel tank before we figured out what was going on, it would hardly run at all, and I recall we figured it was dying the moment the glow plugs kicked off, generally about 20-30 seconds after starting. It got progressively worse the more dilute his tank was, and it was quite cold, which didn't help either.

Just a random possibility that came to mind when I read your post. Given the low miles on this motor, betting Corey is right, but you can check this one in 10 seconds with the fuel bowl drain to a cup in case you can't remember what it looked like when you changed the filter.

One other very remote possibility, did you kill your fuel pump when you ran it low on fuel? Now the fuel pump is barely able to generate the pressure you need, so when you turn key it slowly pressurizes up to the regulated pressure, but then after cranking it can't keep up and it starts slowly dropping pressure as the weak/dying pump tries to keep up - when you hit 15-20psi (the minimum pressure at which the truck will sort of run, very bad for it) it cuts out and dies. This could also be the 20-30 seconds and would correlate with the low fuel light/fillup - the 'missing oil' is not explained by this theory and would be coincidental and highly irregular. Don't even consider this possibility if adding oil causes it to run semi happily. The only reason I even added it here is you said you 'had the oil changed' which implies there was potential for some high school service tech to mess it up.

#7 ·
So picked up battery's and and added 15qt of oil. And attempted to start,on the 3ed try she smoked and started up ran ruff for like a min and smooth out let her warm up and shut her down and fired her up first try. Min. Smoke took her out on the road and light white smoke Heavy acceleration light black smoke. So she's not fixed but she runs going to order injector orings dose that sound like a good next step or am I over looking something

#9 ·
So I had the deal ship replace the right side injectors because of no time and my tools were in storage. I'm just going to replace the left side because of the oil issue and the dealership said that that side was weak and wanted to replace them when I got the other side Done I just did not have 4k to do them both back in march. So now do I A. Go to the dealer ship and get 4 more so they are all the same and put them in my self or B. Just go to columbus diesel and get them their. Dose it make a difference if Branding is the same because they have to meet the Same specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.