Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

7.3 knock/#8 injector

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Strokin450 
#1 ·
Hello, new user to the forum. I recently bought a late 99 7.3. It has 200k on the clock. It has an annoying knock and is hard starting when cold and not plugged in. I recently had it at Absolute Powerstroke in KC and they did a contribution test. Came back as #8 injector was bad/low contribution. The knock is constant. Does it at idle, gets faster with rpm's and I can hear it when I'm coasting down hills. I know there is a lot of info on this subject here, but I felt like none describe what I'm getting. Should the knock be there during decel/coasting? I'm going to take it to my mechanic soon and want to have more info on things to check when he pulls off the VC. Thanks.

#4 ·
A black stone UOA would tell you were the metal is coming from.

Its a shot in the dark until you know where it's coming from

#5 ·
Update: Got the number 8 injector replaced. Now I have a CES light on and my mechanic ran the code and we traced it to the UVCH. Checked the connectors and the bottom plug on each side looked burnt/slightly melted. I'm planning on replacing the harnesses. Is it a good idea to replace the glow plugs when I do this. I still have a knock. My mechanic said 7.3's are just noisy. Would the new harness quiet it down? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.