injectors????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injectors?????

i've got an early 99 psd, recently started having trouble starting and when it does, it puffs smoke. runs rough for a little while, but once it's warm it runs great. i changed fuel filter and put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and it's gotten a little better. found some sludge in the bottom of the fuel filter housing, so i cleaned it out good. is it possible the injectors are plugged? if so, is it possible to clean them? any good products? new injectors are 3 grand, so any advice would be helpful. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartel99
i've got an early 99 psd, recently started having trouble starting and when it does, it puffs smoke. runs rough for a little while, but once it's warm it runs great. i changed fuel filter and put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and it's gotten a little better. found some sludge in the bottom of the fuel filter housing, so i cleaned it out good. is it possible the injectors are plugged? if so, is it possible to clean them? any good products? new injectors are 3 grand, so any advice would be helpful. thanks.
bartel, it could be one or two injecors failing, and it also could be something within the glow plug system if it only happens cold.....but usually when it clears up, its an injector that is not firing properly cold.....

where in central cali are you???i live on the central coast myself........Marc
Old 03-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i'm in fresno, i replaced the glow plug relay about a year ago. are glow plugs hard to replace? whats the best way to test injectors?
Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
i'm in fresno, i replaced the glow plug relay about a year ago. are glow plugs hard to replace? whats the best way to test injectors?
i work in hollister, live in prunedale.......glow plugs are under the valve cover, as are injectors. injectors require a speciall procedure to replace, glow plugs are pretty easy as long as the heads dont break off....after the valve cover is off anyway....... the symptom you are having is really tough to diagnose without a proper scan tool....because you have to catch the injector having isues before it quits acting up.......the only way to have any chance of diaging it as it sits is if there is a code for a particular injector stored in the memory, otherwise you will either need to purchase a good scan tool, or take it to someone to have it diag'ed........sorry for the bad news......the only other way to do it is take both valve covers off......hook everything up so the motor can run, and disconect individual injectors while it is acting up.....but this is a messy procedure that isnt fullproof....but if the engine DOESNT change its running when you disconnecct and injector, they you can usually condemn that injector...........Marc
Old 03-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks marc, i'll try to find a code. the trucks got 289k, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change glowplugs while i've got the valve covers off. thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
thanks marc, i'll try to find a code. the trucks got 289k, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change glowplugs while i've got the valve covers off. thanks for the help.
289k in cali....glow plugs are probably just fine....although they are not extremely expensive to replace since you will be there (under 10 bucks a piece).....but heck, that motor is just barely broken in.....it should be good for another 300k if you maintain it well.......Marc
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I LIKE CHROME :)

Send a message via MSN to power95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
289k in cali....glow plugs are probably just fine....although they are not extremely expensive to replace since you will be there (under 10 bucks a piece).....but heck, that motor is just barely broken in.....it should be good for another 300k if you maintain it well.......Marc
u sure that it will last another 300k, i know up here if u get 300k out of them u r lucky. right around 250k is were stuff goes wrong, like the expensive turbo
Old 03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by power95
u sure that it will last another 300k, i know up here if u get 300k out of them u r lucky. right around 250k is were stuff goes wrong, like the expensive turbo
you have to replace some stuff....but a (ballpark, rounded off) $1000 turbo is still cheaper than a new truck payment........as long as you know the truck has been well maintained.....thats just the way i look at things.......Marc
Old 03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
Man I sure hope you're right mschn99 That just leaves me another 552,000 to go That will take me a while. Unless I do start pulling campers for a living.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Wow.....someone's been logging some miles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.