Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is there a Rough idle sticky?

624 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SuperchargedPSD 
#1 ·
I just replaced my glow plugs with motor craft plugs. Bought it a little over a year ago and it's been rough idling since purchase. After starting my truck in the morning it idles roughly until it warms up or I rev the motor up to about 2500 rpm's. It kinda has to wake up before it will run smoothly. Once it "wakes" up it runs great and starts great. Any body got an idea of what it could be and how to diagnose it?

#2 ·
Highly possible Injector or Injectors that need to be replaced. What your describing is basic poppet valve wear. I would run a buzz test and listen for a muted buzz. Then tear the cover off and run the engine cold and look at the discharge of the oil spout on suspect injector. You can also remove the solenoid from the top of the injector and check armature gap. New they are around .004 of clearance. Less than .002 is showing that the poppet is worn into the seat.
Also plug the engine in for a couple of hours and start it up and see if the same symptoms still exist.

#3 ·
Thanks, I was suspecting an injector. Is there a buzz test post on how to do it? I am learning about this truck still.
Thank you I appreciate the help. Stayed up till 4 this morning trying to finish the glow plugs. Maybe I can figure out the idling problems this weekend?

#5 · (Edited)
You need a scan tool capable. I use the Car Gauge Pro app on an android phone to run Buzz tests with a Bluetooth adapter. There is a couple of videos on YouTube walking you thru a buzz test. It's pretty simple you just turn Key to On Engine Off and select buzz test and listen. First all 8 injectors will buzz followed by all 8 fired off one after the other.

Reactions: Railroad
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.