Stalls then wont restart for 20min - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Stalls then wont restart for 20min

Hi i am new here i got my truck from my father when i was 16 it is great (1996 f250 7.3 of course) i've added a banks, turbo, intercooler, 3.5" exhaust, ottomind chip, trans chip, banks gauges, a stage one trans upgrade, dana 60 front axle, 6in lift, 33" tires, an airfilter off a semi (950 cfm), cat eliminator pipe

Now i had a sputtering and dying problem for the past few months, it only pops up every few weeks. im a big diesel fan so i did all the work my self, including changing the cps, whole wiring harness, fuel filter and housing (for other reasons), valve cover gasket, but not the internal wires ran out of money. This all started after i blew a hole in my oil pan off roading and too it to a shop, they pulled the motor to change it and ever since it hasn't been the same. still has all the power it did except it dies alot. i think they could have cleared the codes and fried my banks chip, but yet i still have alot of power, no black smoke ever since i got the new airfilter though. i didn't put the sensor that went into the airbox back in though, it looks like a temp sensor, wondering if that could be it. thanks alot, Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That is the intake air temp sensor, for the CPU, your problem sounds like a CPS, but I am not a tech. I'm sure one of the guys will be along that knows more about it

Gord.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:45 AM
The Fat Mod

My first thought is a CPS too, but maybe one of the techs will be along shortly. Also, when you get a chance, get some pics up and some info in your signature. Good Luck with it.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

since you have stated the CPS was already changed.....we are going to assume for now that its ok....

Ive got a sneaking suspition here...i have seen this before. When they changed your oil pan, if they did not use the right kind of silicone to seal it, the silicone will actually react with the oil and cause the oil to foam. That causes air to get into the high pressure oil sustem which affects the fuel delivery. Try to find an anti-foaming agent and put it in the oil and see if it helps the problem. Also, run your oil level for now so it is barely over the minimum line cold. If eitehr of these help the problem i would be taking it back to the place that did the oil pan and telling them what they did....
Old 03-04-2007, 11:28 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Ditto to Marc's post. My first thought was either CPS or Oil Level. I had a BIG problem with my truck about a year ago not wanting to run when cold...would shut off a little after I got going and then not start for a while. Turned out that my oil was low. I changed the oil and no more problems. I would check the oil levels like Marc said.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
you see they used really crappy oil and it did foam alot, so i changed it and put in diesel specific oil and just to be safe some anti-foam. However when it stalls is i switch the relays under the hood it seems to run again for awhile. So today i stole my dads horn relay and it hasn't died in 100 miles which is pretty good so far. And as for the oil pan they used black RTV, its the anti-oil kind so i think that is ok. And thanks alot you guys.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

No problem dereku, keep us informed, and don't be a stranger eh.

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.