Oil pan leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil pan leaking

Well I've got the lovely oil pan leaking problem. Have been doing quite a bit of reading up on this & I know the engine has come out to replace the pan. WTF is up with that!!!! Anyway trying to patch it for now. There are three pin holes at the bottom of the pan. I have cleaned the rust & crap down to bare metal in that area, wiped it down with acetone, ruffed the metal up with 50 grit sandpaper & have lots of JB weld on it. Letting the JB set for 24 hours. Hopefully that will hold. Have read of a few success stories using JB. Have also read of some successes with coating the pan with POR 15. If the JB doesn't hold can the POR 15 be used to stop the leak or is that used to coat the pan after the leak has been stopped with something else? Has anyone used POR 15 either to stop the leak or coat the pan after & it didn't work? It's quite expensive so I just want to see the success rate before purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 03:20 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I just KBS'd my oil pan a week ago. Its the same stuff as por15. Mine was rusting bad but it wasn't leaking yet. I would say to let the jb weld get nice and hard and then coat the pan with the por. It should seal the pan up. My dealer says they can do the oil pan R&R with the engine in. I guess the just jack it up somehow. I know that most guys say you have to turn the engine up side down to let it seal properly, but my ford dealer says they do em all the time with the engine in, just food for thought if you have to go that route.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Some people just cut the crossmember out
I've seen that done before and it ended up leaking at the pan gasket because the only proper way to seal it is to turn it upside down. The oil running down the block interferes with the sealing of the RTV.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM

I know some cut the cross member & change the pan but personally I think that is crazy. If it doesn't seal what do you do cut it out again? The only way I woudl do anything with the cross member is take it out somehow & that looks like it is almost as big a job as taking the engine out.
I have two friends that are mechanics & one works for Ford so I am sure has done oil pans before. When the time comes that I have no choice but to change the pan( hopefully that time is not now) I am going to see if one of the them will do it for cash.

I am shocked at how many have this problem & not just with the 7.3. 2 of my neighbors have ford 1/2 tons with 302's & their pans are leaking as well. Their engines have to come out as well. Who ever designed these pans should be strung up by their eyelids. No pan gasket either??? Man oh man.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM

I had a 93 grand marquis that also leaked. It had a 4.6 in it. The pans just rot out. The funny part is i think the 7.3 pans are intl. All i know is my dealer said they don't have to remove the engine to do them and they have had no problems. I don't think its that hard to pull your engine though. Maybe try and find someone with a lift and you could jack the cab and then you just undo the engine and spin it up side down. No pulling the grill, coolers, etc...
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Well hopefully I am not speaking to soon but I think I have success. Got some POR 15 a couple of days ago & got the cleaner & metal ready with it. Followed the directions for preping & have put 3 coats of POR on the pan. Filled her up with oil & went for a drive & put her through her paces. Not a drop & not even a hint that the POR may not hold. This stuff is magic. Got some on my hands & that won't come off.So I have 2 coats of JB Weld & 3 coats of POR on the pan. Hopefully this works. Crossing my fingers. This stuff appears to be as good as described. When I get some time & am going to do the rest of the pan ( or as much as I can get at).
Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Sweet man. Let us know how it holds up. Gotta love those coatings. I also got some on me and NO soap would take it off.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 PM

I will have no problem updating 6 months or a year from now if it holds. I reeeeeally don't want to take the engine out. Already had one big wrenching job this year with my preiously owned 99 Serria 6.5. Blew head gasket. Got it all back together & block cracked. I was not a happy camper. Not interested in another any time soon.

Oh I used it on my hot water furnace to seal a leak & it worked on that too. Didn't prep that at all.

Thank god for POR 15!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

PM sent to Simone, Just curious to see if it has hold up. thanks for any feedback.

Have you had enough of 4oz to cover the pan with 3 coats.

Last edited by E3501997; 10-15-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 AM

POR still holding fine. I bought a quart of it & I used approx half so far but if measured out properly I would have used only a quarter of it. I have not done the whole pan yet but I would guess that 1 quart would do 3 coats on the whole pan easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.