vibs and hums at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vibs and hums at idle

2001 power stroke viberates @ idle can see belt viberate between ps and alt. have 60,000 mile I replaced belt seems to have made it worse, still has good power,no smoke and sounds good. viberation dampner? tension pulley ? any ideas on how to check thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joralmontile@msn.com
2001 power stroke viberates @ idle can see belt viberate between ps and alt. have 60,000 mile I replaced belt seems to have made it worse, still has good power,no smoke and sounds good. viberation dampner? tension pulley ? any ideas on how to check thanks
Welcome to the site joralmontile. What rpm is your truck idling at? Is it auto tranny or manual and if it is an auto, does the vibration occur in park or in gear? Maybe mschn99 has some ideas
Old 03-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno
Maybe mschn99 has some ideas
who.....Me????
Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joralmontile@msn.com
again, to repeat some questions.....is it idle in park or in gear.....(assuming its an auto)......what does rpm changes do to it......are you sure it doesnt miss at all on take off.......is there any noise associated with it........and other than the vibration....how does the engine sound and feel.

all that asked, i have never seen it as a noticable vibration, but i have seen a reasonable number of tensioners fail. the kicker is i have never seen one that you could feel. if your ride is a manual, it could even be a clutch problem, and if its an auto.....it could be trans related.....ive even seen a fan clutch make a strange vibration. get back to me with all the answeres to the questions i asked....and also take the serp belt completely off....start her up, and let her run for 30-45 seconds or so (no more than 2 or 3 minutes MAX)......let me know if the vibration is still there. if it is, its not in the assesory drive belt pulleys. dont run it too long as your water pump and altenator will not be working durning that time and you dont want to cause any problems...........Marc
Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Navy Beer Guzzler

I bumped up this thread because I am having same problem with mine. The Vibration is a sort of groaning vibration not a steady one that happens in park or in drive while on the brake. It was doing it before and after the tranny rebuild. Yes it does stop with RPM increase. It does it even when the clutch fan is not engaged. I have removed serpentine belt and the vibration is still there. I had the injectors buzzed and they all show 100% if that means anything. I am looking to get fuel pressure kit for my Qzilla Commander. Will that check the right fuel pressure reading low pressure or do I need High pressure reading. Is there something else I can check until I get the fuel pressure kit. I dont want to go alot further with mods to this engine till I know if the vibration is serious. Only 123k on this engine. It seems to have good power but dont know anyone who has similar truck to compare it to.Do all 7.3 PSD's have vibrations that can cause the exhaust to hum. Am I just wasting my time? I dont remember my 93 model having any vibrations at all. It was not a PSD though. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 08-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Navy Beer Guzzler

Bump Bump Bump
Old 08-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Navy Beer Guzzler

Bump Bump Bump
Old 08-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Navy Beer Guzzler

Does this thread have dont touch me written all over it or what?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Navy Beer Guzzler

Did I do something wrong. I need the PSD gods to shine upon me.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

see if you can better describe the noise.....could it just be the turbo? is it a dull noise or a sharp noise? Are you sure it isnt a noise accociated with the exhaust (either it touching something, or maybe mis aligned...or maybe even a normal noise through the more open exhaust)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.