Glow plug relay question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Glow plug relay question?

I just ordered a glow plug kit for my truck to day. It was about 30 degrees today and didn't want to start. I have checked my relay and I am getting voltage to both large poles. My question is when I test the poles with a test light when the plugs are cycling the battery post glows bright and the plug post is quite abit dimmer. I cycled it three times and the relay got hot to tough and didn't act like I was getting any heat to the cylinders. Could I have a relay problem?? This is on a early 99 7.3. I would think it would have made a little change even if I have a plug or two bad no colder than it was. If the relay was getting that warm you would think it had a load on it. Does anyone have any ideas on this one. All input welcome and will make my day.
Thank you
99 Red Stroker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

If you can check it with a meter and see what the volts are on the plug post. Also you should be getting voltage to that post for up to 90 seconds or so after you cycle the key once. You should be getting the same voltage across the battery post and the plug post.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Also are those the orginal batteries? If you have access to a battery tester that can put a load on the batteries to test them that would be a good place to start.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Smile Thanks Vitalidle

Thank you for the reply. I put new batteries in a couple of months back and I timed the relay cycle and it stayed on a good 90 seconds. I will have to check the voltage drop at the posts. I just used the test light and the bulb was bright on the battery side and the plug side was quite a bit dimmer. The battery cable to the relay got pretty warm after three cycles. I was just wondering if it could be shorted in side and draining enough voltage that the plugs wouldn't heat right. Just a thought. By the way I haven't got caught with the cps going out yet. I ordered one of them today also. I thought I had pushed my luck far enough. Thanks again.
99 Red Stroker
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Hopefully its your relay the cheapest fix anyway. Yeah with the meter at least you can tell if there is a voltage drop across the relay. Funny though my experiance with relays are they either work or they don't! Good luck and the spare cps thing I need to do myself
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Kinda wanted to have new G plugs

I kinda wanted to replace the glow plugs and the wire harnesses as I haven't had the truck too long. This is my first winter with it. I have a older gasser that I drive everyday or this would have been done in Nov. HA!! How do you like the 1705?? I installed the low setting in mine a few weeks ago. I like what it done for the throttle response. I sure made my turbo a lot quieter in the hills. I haven't had enough of a load tied to it to make it work hard enough to bring it on hard. As far a the CPS every time I go out at night I think of the posts on here about getting caught out in the middle of no where and all the parts store are closed HA!! Thanks again
99 Red Stroker
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Here is a link for some good info on glow plugsTech Tips Hope this helps I do like my 1705, but I only have the stock program to reference my opionion on it. I have only tuned mine to the tow safe setting also. I am a bit nervous about running the other two tunes and killing my trans, because I know I will like it and run it! Personally the 70hp tow safe setting is perfect for my every day driving
Old 02-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Thumbs up Vitalidle Thumbs up

I got tired last night and ran out on you. I like the 1705 also and just leaving it on the tow safe setting. It has done everything that I hoped it would and more. The main thing I was wanting was to improve the shift points. With that and the throttle improvement I'm good to go. I did order a glow plug relay this afternoon and will replace it while in there. Hope when I get done things will work and be good for several miles. I've always had gassers before and these trucks are great to drive. Last weekend I pulled a 28ft enclosed trailer around 150 miles. It's nice to hit the interstate ( set the cruise atleast 70 HA!!) and just drive. By your picture you sure have a great looking truck. My son-in-law has an 03 350 srw 4+4. It has a 6.0 and looks a lot like yours. Keep up the good work and thanksssss.
99 Red Stroker
Old 02-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Hey no problem hope ya got some good rest! Keep us posted and let us know how you made out!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Smile

When I get figured out for sure what's going on I'll sure post the results. I know what I have read on here if the relay had power to both sides it was o.k.. If the relay helps the problem I may wait till the weather gets better before I install the plugs and new wiring.They are calling for rain,ice,and snow for the rest of the week here. I have a garage to work in and heat also. The thing is the trucks tooooo long. Imagine that!!!! Thanks again.
99 Red Stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.