2002 7.3L in need of serious help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3L in need of serious help.

Well here is the story. I was driving down the road enjoying my day when I began to go down hill. The engine lost complete power. I pulled over killed the truck and then restarted it to see if anything changed. There was a slight knocking noise but the truck was drivable. I turned around and headed back for the house. By the time I made it home there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Beings how I know nothing about diesel motors I listened to the opinion of others and wrote the truck off as having a blown motor. Sine July of 07 the truck has sat next to my house in agony of not having 8,000 to replace a motor in a truck that I am still paying for... Unfortunately, it has come to my attention that more then likely the engine i not blown. So my question is what would cause these problems?

Lost power
small knock
rough idle
white smoke

I spent 3,000 two weeks before it was parked replacing all the front end parts (shocks, springs, allignment, tires, etc) and the wiring harness for the enjectors are new and have been check. The fuel pump was replaced less then two months prior as well. In addition to that the oil was replaced less the 500 miles prior along with the filter, air filter, and fuel filter.

My husbands motor in his hyundai just went caput and we need a vehicle to drive. Do you think that there is some minor problem that could be the culprit and not the actual engine...

Also there is no codes able to be pulled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to carnival owner mikey
i would check your under valve cover harness connections,cps,fuel and oil filters, good luck though and i dont know how much you know about motors but if you happen to have oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil those are pretty sure signs of internal motor problems keep me posted and hope i can help.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 AM

i just thought of this maybe the evbp has stuck shut?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know my way around a gas engine fine. Have never had to work on the diesel so not much knowledge there. As for the oil and coolant there is no cross over. Both have been checked. There is not really a noticable oil ussage. The oil that was changed prior to the problem still looked brand new.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also wanted to add.. The motor is sitting at 240,000 miles. Other then routine changes with filters, oil, etc. The truck had been 100% reliable. The updates that were made in the front end were due to being rearended. Fuel pump was due to running it dry on fuel. Only prob was the wiring harness for fuel injectors and after a 10 minute replacement job it was running great once again.

Since 04' no major parts have been replaced. Fuel injectors are probably still the originals that came in the truck. Glo plugs replaced in o4 as well. The truck has been super reliable.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 AM

sorry to hear this. if you cant get it worked out you wantin to sell it? pm me if so. (btw im hoping you get it running i have four kids a wife and i know how it is when things go bad )
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 AM

and i know you dont want to hear this but i have a much similar problem in my e350...... pretty sure i have a blown head gasket at the least
Old 09-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is it a aftermarket fuel pump? i had the same problem. got a pump at a#*%zone that lasted a week. bought one at ford and that 88,000 ago.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I will be hooking the batteries up to the charger in the morning and making sure everything is ready to go for the upcoming week. Planning on running it for a few minutes and then taking the truck to either autozone or sears to see if we can get any type of problem or code to show up now. If not then we are going to repull the valve covers and replace the injectors, seals, etc... and probably the glow plugs while we are in there.

If it dont work and we are unable to find the problem then the truck is up for sale for the pay off price... Which would be very sad but my obsession with the truck is costing me a fortune to sit and look pretty.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:08 AM

hpoe you get it figured out...... isnt there someway you can see if it needs injectors before just replacing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.