Lost power, truck still runs/drives - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost power, truck still runs/drives

Hate for my 1st post to be about problems but oh well. Hopefully can fix it soon. Truck is an early 99 7.3 f250 6spd 2wd crew. No codes when scanned. Either glow plug relay or controller is dead, will start when plugged in (on the list of things to do). Once get started, it runs and drives but is running at like 50% of its normal power. Idles normal. Previous owner thinks it is the computer but no codes are thrown; I am unsure about a new computer as the truck starts, runs, and drives just with less power than normal. Thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the turbo spinning?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It spools, I can get some power on full load higher up in the rpms. I was just thinking it seems a lot like the wastegate being stuck open, will try things in the morning.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: took a bike pump to wastegate, it opens under pressure. Went for a quick ride, can start to hear boost at around 1700 rpms. Is it normal for the wg to wear out or can a malfunction of the sensor which the wg line goes to cause a lack of boost low down? Thanks again
Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I posted a little earlier about my lessons learned changing out my injectors. Once I put everything back together I didn't tighten down one of the intercooler tubes at the front of the truck. On my initial test drive I heard what sounded like the turbo waste gate dumping my boost. The truck ran smooth but had no power. Once I discovered my loose intercooler, tightened it up, the turbo came to life and all my power was back. It's just a suggestion based on my experience but check those intercooler tubes, there are four rubber boots and eight clamps.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyT812 View Post
I posted a little earlier about my lessons learned changing out my injectors. Once I put everything back together I didn't tighten down one of the intercooler tubes at the front of the truck. On my initial test drive I heard what sounded like the turbo waste gate dumping my boost. The truck ran smooth but had no power. Once I discovered my loose intercooler, tightened it up, the turbo came to life and all my power was back. It's just a suggestion based on my experience but check those intercooler tubes, there are four rubber boots and eight clamps.
Thanks, I am going to look into that in a little while; anything is worth a shot however I don't hear any boost being built down in the low rpms.

Couple other things to note: I had used a basic code scanner and pulled nothing when I said no codes, in further reading it appears that a snap on or some sort of more advanced scanner is needed to read codes on these. Previous owner states a bum computer is the cause of running at 50% power, is this possible? I thought if the computer was junk, it would either run or not run... It is a California truck with glow plug control module, would a bad pcm keep this system from operating?

Since my last posting, I have also checked the turbo, it spins freely without any shaftplay; no oil leaks of concern

Last edited by ToeMater; 08-31-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: Unplugged wastegate line, a bunch more noticeable boost built but still down on power. Found a small leak at a loose boot but still power not fully there. Kind of stumped at this point, perhaps it really is the PCM.

Current symptoms: Sluggish, seems like not getting enough fuel and running at like 50-60%. Glow plugs are not warming, have to plug in to start. I'm inclined to think its something electronic at this point, could a faulty PCM allow the truck to run but run with less power and not activate the glow plug system? Wait to start light comes on, I think it may actually be a 49 state truck... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.