7.3 No start: SNAFU - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 No start: SNAFU

Here's the rundown:

- Blew about 3 gallons of oil all over the truck when an HPOP line was pinholed by an aftermarket fuel pressure gage line. Before incident, truck ran like a champ.

- After towed home, found the bad line. Took 2 hours and several parts removed, or loosened, to get at it. These include:
* intake
* outlet tube
* electrical connector above tube for clearance
* red vacuum line comming from intake
* both pressure and return fuel lines going into the fuel bowl

- Line came out with a moderate fight. IH dealer only place to buy replacement, which is about an inch shorter.

- Bought 1/4" ID pipe thread fittings for adapters; line now fits. During reconnection grounded ratchet to back of alternator (hot lead). Only visible damage is to insulation at connector disconnected batteries and put on charge.

- Topped off oil to proper level.

- Buttoned top end up. Will not start.

- "Nut and bolted" everything again. While double checking fuel lines, FPR line fitting broke off in housing.

- Pressure on fuel gage, after cranking, reads 20-30 psi.

I really, really need help with this one. obviously it was something I did; the truck had zero engine issues prior to this. What did I miss? I don't have a scan tool to check codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
did you refill the hpop with oil?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:17 PM

FP should be closer to 60 psi. Did you cycle the key a few times before trying to start?

You also need to check all your fuses since you shorted out the alternator.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
FP should be closer to 60 psi. Did you cycle the key a few times before trying to start?.
No; didn't know I had to, but I'll check when I can. Is it easy to do? I have both bolts holding the plastic cover mount out; can I pour it in there? I did cycle at least a half dozen times, even litting the truck sit with the key on for about 5 minutes at one point. Since I couldn't start the engine it wouldn't have read full pressure; I'm just happy it's reading anything at all Mine's shimmed to 70.

Quote:
You also need to check all your fuses since you shorted out the alternator.
Would a blown fuse cause a no start? I know a blown diode would do it but I didn't think this to be the case considering I've started and run this truck with a dead alternator in the past.

Considering the fuel lines are now gonna cost me about $130 I'll have to wait on the other gripe for now.

Last edited by nc1500; 08-24-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Since you opened the fuel lines you'll need to cycle the key a couple times to get the fuel pressure up to spec.

I don't think the alt would keep it from starting. It's most likely a blown fuse.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
Since you opened the fuel lines you'll need to cycle the key a couple times to get the fuel pressure up to spec.

I don't think the alt would keep it from starting. It's most likely a blown fuse.
Thanks; I'll have to check that. BTW: that's probably the best avitar I've seen in years. Now, lets hope life doesn't imitate art.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:47 PM

Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM

I don't know if our trucks have them but most vehicle have a fuseable link on the wire from the battery to the alternator. There's a good chance that you took that out when you had your wrench welding session.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
I don't know if our trucks have them but most vehicle have a fuseable link on the wire from the battery to the alternator. There's a good chance that you took that out when you had your wrench welding session.
I'll have to meter it later on and check for voltage. For now, I hope someplace has the fuel lines I need or I'm fukted, anyway. Maybe I'll order a braided Russel kit and make them myself. IDK, maybe $130 isn't so bad for two lines pre-made and ready; Just makes me sick to think how many nickels and dimes I have to throw into this truck.

Some have the Midas touch; so do I (in reverse) because everything I touch turns to SH1T!!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

I need a new FPR housing; you cannot just buy the part itself and Ford wants about $800 for a new HPOP assembly. Does anyone have an extra one or know where I can get one? Only one yard around here MAY have a 444, but no guarantess.

If all else fails I'll get the bowl delete from ITP.

Last edited by nc1500; 08-25-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.