7.3L Quiting while hot and not restarting (it's not the cam sensor) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L Quiting while hot and not restarting (it's not the cam sensor)

Truck is a 2002 F350.
First time it quit on us going to the airport coasted to a parking spot and left it a couple days. It cranked right back up and drove a bit and quit just like the Cam sensor problem, it has the new sensor in it. We bought a new sensor of course and replaced it with zero change runs till hot then quits. A mechanic we trust suggested it was the fuel lift pump so we replaced it and it ran for 300 miles just fine and is now acting the same as before. I'm buying a fitting today so we can check the pressure at the filter housing to make sure the new pump is holding pressure. The truck is not throwing a single code.

Parameters when trying to start hot:

RPM 200ish
ICP floats around 185 +-5 I know this is low,when I unplugged the ICP sensor it went well above 1000 I think it was 1500 plenty high enough for the ECM to think it should start, no parameters changed besides the ICP pressure
IPR demand I think was 15%
Injector pulse width is .6ms

More facts about the truck: We just cleaned the IPR even though when cold it cranks and runs perfect, checked the ICP sensor by removing the plug from it with no change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to nccatfan
Getting fuel in the oil or oil in the fuel (oil getting into fuel return and going back to the tank)? That would be injector O-rings. Will it restart with the engine hot? HPOP/IPR O-rings?

Can't tell you anything specific... All I can say is that oddball stuff happens when O-rings go bad. If an O-ring is worn and can't expand with the metal then you lose that seal (and pressures fall) until things cool off again.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

might be the ipr as i had a similar problem where it wouldnt start warm and a brand new replacement fixed it, might not tho, if you revcently cleaned it, did you assemble it back together correctly and replace orings
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM

have your batteries checked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.