Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need help please!

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Unbugai 
#1 ·
My 2000 f350 7.3 just massively took a dump on me the day I need it most.
I was hooking up my plow yesterday before the storm and I had it running for about 15-20 minutes all was well. backed out put it into place and it started to clack? Louder than before.. So I wanted to see wth.... started pulling out of my driveway and it gradually got worse and worse until it just died.
Now when cold it starts up fine but seems to have a minor hiccup which may be a misfire. A minute later it begins to get worse and worse and begins to die. And then dies after about 10 minutes.

It restarts but runs like crap. If I let it cool off it will run better but goes back to running like crap. To where it barely has power to move

My oil pressure is good. I cleaned the fuel pickup screens (they were a mess)
No check engine light comes on at all.
I unplug the icp and it comes on immediately. Plug it back in and after about 20 seconds it goes away.
I deleted ebpv (with new pedestal)

Blow by isn't bad. Oil seems to be good recently replaced with rotella. Doesn't have a fuel smell....

I read much about injectors failing but it seems like half the engine failed.
And that would usually pop a cel right?

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like a fuel supply problem. You described exactly what mine did when I let it cold-soak in 15deg F temperatures un-plugged with summer blend fuel in it. The fuel gelled in the tank, and wouldn't pump. Use jugs to add local blend fuel to the tank and try it again.

#5 ·
Maybe but wouldn't idm cause it to run like crap always?
And idk about fuel gelling up because it was like 50 degrees yesterday and it was the only day it wasn't driven....
I'm replacing the fuel filter and pump to see if that helps cuz I do feel like it's fuel.
I replaced the pump a couple years ago with advance or napa one. Hopefully that thing is just getting weak.
My next shot in the dark will be the valve cover gaskets...
Anyone got a diagnostic procedure for those?

#6 ·
This is my plow truck I've been pretty up to date with maintenance so it's not like one of those used and abused plow trucks. I pretty much push snow idling.
And it's been treating me very well till now.

And one thing I did notice in the last maybe month was it didn't dump as much black smoke out as it used to. It would still pull like hell when given some gas. It would puff one cloud out and use the rest for power (I know..... not used and abused)

Attachments

#7 ·
Fixed.... Turns out the wires going to my fuel pump got loose and were touching the front driveshaft and werent getting great signal? Or maybe was shorting out? Only saw this when I went to replace it. Replaced anyways. Funny thing is it still ran horrible for a good 15 minutes. But was slowly getting better and not worse. About 30 minutes later it started running really smooth and now I'm plowing. Thanks guys for your input.
Can't imagine how happy I am that it was a simple/cheap fix.

#8 ·
There was probably air in the lines that just needed to be purged out with a drive cycle, that's most likely why it ran like crap for a few minutes.

Glad you figured it out!

#11 ·
#12 ·
me too
sweet plow by the way :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.