Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

TS chip WOT 75hp only goes to 14psi boost, stock setting goes to 20PSI?

7K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  dingo1990- 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

Hope you are all having a good day as I have spent days working on this problem. A little about what I'm working with. 2000 F-250 7.3L automatic transmission. I have a edge evolution CTS which only monitors and a 6 position TS chip 75hp setting. a 4" MBRP exhaust and a AFE "Big Boost" BHAF Washable Filter and Garrett GTP38R PowerMax Ball Bearing Turbo. The list goes on and on about other things. But that is irrelevant so If the TS chip is set to stock I run 2-5psi of boost all the time between 10-40mph then I go up to 20psi at WOT. This is all good for a turbo that maxes out at 40 psi the issue is once I put the chip to 75hp the truck only builds to 14PSI then says turbo over boost?? DOES the TS chip control how much boost I can get??? My EBP is at 2-11? Map is at 14-20 IPR and ICP readings are normal and truck has no issues. I have cranked the waste gate all the way down it has no threads showing any more. So do I need a boost fooler or does the chip overwrite the stock mode? The goal is to have 25 PSI of boost on any setting other that stock. However all setting only let me go to 14 PSI of boost at WOT and 0 PSI from 0-40? But on stock it holds PSI the entire time?

#2 ·
who burned the tunes on to the chip?

#5 ·
As far as the tube I have removed the sensor, tube and plate. I had completely removed and cleaned it all and I still get readings on my live monitor their are not as high as my (MAP) PSI. So I don't believe the sensor is bad. If I disconnect it I get an immediate notification until I plug it back in. However here is another question how can I increase more EBP (Exhaust Back Pressure)?. Is the turbo to large? I have removed the EBPV in the pedestal and unplugged the sensor to it but I did not think that would matter? But would a boost fooler even work because it will not allow it to go past 14PSI from what I have read online it starts fooling around 22PSI but I can even make that unless I'm on stock mode, must just be the chip?

#6 ·
So I ordered the chip off Ebay from JDautoandtruck and when they get the chip from TS they burn it. They sold it for 148$ not 80? and they said they don't limit boost or program it to a specific PSI. The chip has been flawless besides this little issue?

#7 ·
It doesnt necessarily mean that the EBPS is calibrated correct though. It could be out of its "span".

Many many eBay and other retailers only go by the year and trans type. So there is a high % chance that they put the wrong PCM code files on the chip. It happens alot. Last year I reburned just over 60 chips due to this and it certainly does make a difference.

#8 ·
This has to be the case so your saying the sensor is fine. The chip is not burned to all specs correctly. Do you burn chips for your shop or just something you do for fun? How much do you charge?

Second question if somehow I figure or make a map fooler that does not exceed 14psi that it can see. And i start pushing 25 psi is this bad for the motor. Meaning it only sees 14 by a regulator but its axtually pushing 25psi wouldnt it hurt my motor not be getting enough fuel and air for that psi? Since it thinks its getting less.

#10 ·
Ok LOL I finally logged in on my computer only to find your link to your site. UH-DUH! Second I always get a P0238 code with WOT but every other post to this code they say they are at 25PSI not 14 like me? So the chip really can control when the computer thinks their is a high circuit reading or over boost? Just wanted to thank you for your reply's and help!

#12 ·
Well I'm about done with this issue hopefully first solution would be that the chip from EBay was not burned accurately and the other is the MAP and EBP sensors are bad maybe PCM as well. So I went back out to the truck and was going to clean the (MAP) Manifold absolute Pressure sensor. I used the intake fluid cleaner/ sensor safe cleaner and I noticed that the tube to the Y pipe going to the MAP sensor was a 3/8th fuel line? I thought that was weird and wonder why I never noticed before? So I cleaned the sensor and installed a 1/4 rubber vacuum hose. Started the truck and I had boost! 0-40 mph I constantly run 1-5PSI however a few miles later I get a check engine light P0237 light. And the truck under (WOT) Wide Open Throttle would not go past 10PSI now LOL. The Map reading are constantly 14PSI WOT goes to 20-22 and the EBP sensor is always 0? unless its WOT then it goes to 20 PSI. So since the MAP sensor is done for and the truck is only running from the PCM I took off the MAP sensor and completely took it apart I want to know why it stopped working? when you break the top part off opposite side of the 3 copper pins. It takes a lot to get this off you will see a white circuit board with the solder wires going to the 3 pins. One of the solder wires was burnt away and all the pins had a black brown color so I cleaned them up and soldered a new wire back onto the board. The entire sensor is filled with this clear jelly? anyways I will install it in the morning or just by one at a stealer ship. But heck why not try for free?

#16 ·
Corey@CNCFAB I have one last question for you. Does the PCM or chip control and stop how much boost I have Hmm a better way to word this is when I'm WOT does the computer stop reading boost at 14PSI? Even if my turbo is putting out 30 PSI it stops reading past 14PSI? I'm using a digital Diesel evolution CTS to watch all of my readings. It's so weird it gives an over boost at 14PSI. So is it possible that the computer stops reading pressure because it was programmed to be maxed at 14PSI and just throws a CEL once I go over 14? The reason I ask is once I tightened my waste gate all the way down the wine from the turbo is Much louder! but again I'm certain it's the chip but knowing myself I will continue to tinker even though I know the problem.

#18 · (Edited)
So I wanted to give an update I finally got my P0238 code to go away. I loosened the Waste-Gate rod until the code went away it was to tight. However I still do not go past 14 PSI? I just don't have any codes now? What I plan on doing is hooking my trailer up and WOT I live in Kansas with flat roads really flat I think my truck just doesn't need more than 14PSI on this setting. So I will increase drag and see if pressure goes up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.