99 stroke, turbo problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 stroke, turbo problem

Dear Diesel Gurus,

I've got a weird thing going on with my 99 powerstroke.
When I get on the gas and the turbo kicks in, I get the turbo whine and the rpm's go up but there's no thrust. The truck seems to run fine otherwise. No smoke, no leaks, no exhaust smell under the hood, no codes show up on the diag. I took the intake off and inspected the turbo fan, looks fine. Filter is clean. What else could be going on? Bad injector?

Oh yea, Superchips chip set loaded for the last two years. 80hp program.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Drew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Fishing Fanatic

Possibly bad tranny?? Maybe the motor is making all the power in the world, but if the torque conv or tranny are bad, it won't go the way it should! Have you looked at the tranny fluid/ smell burnt, brownish in color?? When was the last tranny flush and filter change. Might be something to look at?! Just my two cents.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Kefier2001, thanks for the reply. The tranny is a 6 speed manual with a brand new Luk clutch. As for the torque conv, I haven't looked into that. How do you test something like that?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
OOps now that you tell us you have a manual, might be time for a new clutch. Your clutch maybe slipping do you smell something that smells like burning brakes. Is the clutch adjustable, may need to adjust the clutch pressure plate so it don't slip.

You don't need to worry about a Torq Converter you have a manual trans. If you find a torque converter on your truck we have bigger problems then we thought lol

Last edited by bigcountrysg; 02-20-2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: change info
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Fishing Fanatic

If it is a 6 sp manual, you have no torque convertor. So when you get on it hard, you say there is no acceleration?? RPMs just climb and basically creap along?? Is the clutch adjusted right? Maybe slipping??!! New problem, or an old problem. How does it accelerate under normal driving conditions?? As much info as possible, and maybe figure it out!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, manual tranny and what do you know!, no torque converter. I only have about 6k on a brand new Luk clutch that will kill the motor when you try to hold it against the brake, even in 3rd and 4th gears. Don't think it's slipping but I'll revisit that. I installed a new fuel filter but haven't looked at the injectors. No codes, though.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New problem, accelarates fine under normal driving conditions. It's only when you get on it and the turbo kicks in that you lose acceleration.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountryWaterjet View Post
New problem, accelarates fine under normal driving conditions. It's only when you get on it and the turbo kicks in that you lose acceleration.
I am not understanding what you mean "It's only when you get on it and the turbo kicks in that you lose acceleration."

Are you talking about when the turbo spools up. Your turbo should be spinning all the time when the engine is running. But it doesn't build boost until you put it under load.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes sir, it's only when the turbo spools up. It's not building boost when I put it under load. I was thinking about return to the stock program and seeing if that has any effect. Do you think it could be in the program?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountryWaterjet View Post
Yes sir, it's only when the turbo spools up. It's not building boost when I put it under load. I was thinking about return to the stock program and seeing if that has any effect. Do you think it could be in the program?
Are you sure it is spooling take off the down pipe and look at the exhuast wheel I know you said the intake side looked good. But what does the exhaust side look like. Just a thought. Also check your turbo tubes going to the intercooler. Make sure where the rubber hoses are at the connections are not leaking. Do you have a boost gauge on your truck. If you do what kind of readings are you getting on your gauge. Do you smell a burning oil smell. Do you have an oil leak possiblly leaking into the bell housing causing the clutch to slip. Just a few things to check out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.