CPS Recall?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CPS Recall??

I know that this topic has been beat to death but i could not find it so i had to start a new one. Unfortunatly, I am just now finding out the gravity of the situation. I have had my 7.3 PSD for about 60,000 miles it has 97,000 on it now. During that time I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with my truck other than this CPS(crank position sensor). My first experience with this sensor was about 12,000 miles into my ownership of the F-250 4x4 extended cab shortbed. I took the truck to the dealership to have the problem of sudden dying at intersections and expressways diagnosed. Initially I was told that they could not find a code or "re-produce" the truck dying scenario, thus returning my truck to me having made no changes or repairs. 2 weeks later the truck was delivered back to the same dealership on a flatbed. I explained to them that the truck is STILL dying with out warning, not restarting.. then maybe re-starting after a period of time. After having the truck for a full day the reported to have found an issue with my CPS. They replaced it and problem solved... for a while.

After having received my re-call notice in the mail i promptly made an appointment with the dealership in Feb of '09 to have the CPS inspected and/or changed. They checked it and said it was fine and preformed no replacement.

Jump to present day.
I had noticed for about the last 3 or 4 weeks that the truck was occasionally not wanting to start. I attributed that to a clogged fuel filter. Naturally, I delayed changing my fuel filter until my truck quit running and would not start. I changed the fuel filter and to my surprise that did not fix the problem. I had no idea what the problem could have been, so a bought a $60.00 code reader from Autozone. I plugged that sucker in and.....BAM!!!!.... nothing. No codes, no incomplete maintenance checks, and the system was reading "1 ready". I then cleared all the codes (even though their wasn't any) and tried to restart the truck. It started and ran for a mile and died again. I sat down on the WORLD WIDE INTERWEB and discovered that the issue with this CPS was a widespread and highly contentious subject. It would seem that there was an issue with the color of the CPS. Meaning if you had a black one you were in trouble. If you had a gray one then according the the ford experts, you were updated to the "post-solution" CPS. (That must mean that the gray one is better?) And finally, THE BLUE ONE. This is the one that ALL the smart people are using and it is for an International T444 something or another. I take it that this one is supposed to be the best.

During my moment of Powerstroke incapacitation, I was told by the Ford dealership that that the possibility of a bad censor being replaced with a bad censor was non-existent. I figured that the smartass on the phone at the dealership was full of **** so I went to autozone and bought a new CPS to replace the old one. I did not realize at the time that the new "black" censor I just purchased was a bad thing. I installed it and drove problem free for 37.7 miles. I turned the truck off only to find that it was not going to start. I left the truck sitting overnight. The next morning i showed up to the scene with a new "grey" censor, a batter terminal cleaner, some oil, and some coolant. I added 1 1/2 qt of oil, 1 qt of coolant, cleaned and inspected the battery terminals and replaced the censor (while the batteries were disconnected). Immediately following aforementioned tasks, I started the truck and drove it another 60 miles with no problems. I parked it when I arrived and re-started it a few times to test the integrity of the "grey" censor. It seems to still be functioning correctly.

Which brings me to the point of re-posting this old topic. I was hoping to fill my cup from the fountain of knowledge that flows through the rivers of this forum.

Is this "blue" International CPS the solution? Is there an issue with the CSP circuit on '99-'03 7.3L PSD's, and can it be corrected. Or is it just one of those things where I need to buy a gross of these censor's and add a 10mm wrench to my key chain just to get to the end of my driveway?

Thanks for any help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 03:53 PM

one day later and it is starting the same not starting **** again
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM

ELP!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok first off your 60 dollar code reader from autozone. You might as well use it for a paper weight. Because it won't read the codes on our trucks. It might work fine for a gasoline powered OBDII vehicle. But not for a diesel.

Ok now are you sure it is the cps. Have you had the HPOP checked. Not that it is your problem but I would have it checked out.

I have 197,000 miles on my 2002 F-250 crew cab 4x4 psd. I have replaced my cps a total of 2 times out of all those miles. Most recently about 2,000 miles ago. Do CPS go bad with out warning yes they do. Most owners of the 7.3L have a spare with the 10mm socket and ratchet in the glove box.

How ever I am not totally convinced that the CPS is your problem. I would suggest you have the truck diagnosed properly using the diagnostic computer.

Only reason I say this is because well, I just have not heard of someone having this big of a problem with a cps.

I am sure the techs on here will agree with me. You need to diagnose the problem thoroughly and take the correct action to repair the problem.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM

I will return the "paperweight" immediately! unfortunately i dont have the luxury of reputable dealerships. i have tried three in my area and i have been jerked around three times. Do you recommend the $200 OBD II reader? BTW the replacement of the CPS each time temporarily solved the problem. I thought it might have been resetting itself when i disconnected the battery cables so I tried it without changing the CPS and... no dice. The only way i could get it to start back up was to change the CPS. evenm though my OBD II reader is junk wouldnt i be getting a check engine light with a HPOP issue? And while the truck is running it runs very well seems to be very "crispy". when it dies, i get no lights and no codes( the 60 dollar clinker should be able give me Pcodes)wont start...wont start...wont start...change the CPS ... starts and runs great for a while. I will try to have it checked with a professional machine. just seemed suspicious to me that changing the CPS got at least some kind of result. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
duct tape & zip ties

No you said you had to add a quart and half of oil right. Well where is that oil going? How often do you have to fill your truck with oil.

No I would not recommend buying the 200 dollar code reader. I have one here and it does not read codes on our trucks.

I suggest you get ahold of someone that has a scan tool. That is capable of scanning codes on diesel trucks.

You don't have to go to a dealer. Go to a truck repair shop.

What is your location. That would help a lot of members on here are very helpful. Somone maybe close to you and they may help you out.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM

the oil that i added was kind of after the fact. I had already gone through one CPS and when the second one went out that is when i topped of the oil and coolant .i rarely have to put any fluids in it except at fluid changes. now that u mention it it does seem odd for it to have been a quart and a half low. where does the lost oil end up? in my exhaust or on my garage floor..floor is clean and exhaust is clear. I am in toledo ohio and i would be very gratefull to find someone with knowledge and tools for my PSD. I should also take some time to read up on the HPOP. BTW as i asked b4, wouldnt there be some kind of "check engine"warning on my dash if i had an HPOP issue?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigs32 View Post
the oil that i added was kind of after the fact. I had already gone through one CPS and when the second one went out that is when i topped of the oil and coolant .i rarely have to put any fluids in it except at fluid changes. now that u mention it it does seem odd for it to have been a quart and a half low. where does the lost oil end up? in my exhaust or on my garage floor..floor is clean and exhaust is clear. I am in toledo ohio and i would be very gratefull to find someone with knowledge and tools for my PSD. I should also take some time to read up on the HPOP. BTW as i asked b4, wouldnt there be some kind of "check engine"warning on my dash if i had an HPOP issue?
Your in Toledo Ohio. Man you are only 30 minutes south of me. I have Auto Enginuity. I can run some diagnostic tests, scan for codes, and all that stuff. Just send me a pm and we can hook up. I can either come down to you or you can come across the state line to me. That is if your not scared of Wolverines.

Oh and for a dealer to do work. I have had good luck with the diesel tech at Spirit Ford in Dundee Mi. Straight up US 23 north to M-50. Only about 20 minutes North of you.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Thats GREAT!!!.. but i dont know how to do a pm?
can u tell me ? and THANKS a MILLION. I had to take some paperwork to Brondes ford and the beast died there right in the parking lot so i have it scheduled to be scanned tomorrow or thursday...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigs32 View Post
Thats GREAT!!!.. but i dont know how to do a pm?
can u tell me ? and THANKS a MILLION. I had to take some paperwork to Brondes ford and the beast died there right in the parking lot so i have it scheduled to be scanned tomorrow or thursday...
If they say they can't find anything let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.