need some help, advise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need some help, advise

hey guys Im JetPolar I have 2001 f350 7.3 2x4 superduty, 57k been babied, I have lift 6", **** plugs, 100hp Diablo chip, k/n filter, Straight exhaust from turbo back. I had this set up since new.

original owner 7 years.

Only probs were fuel filters, air filters, alternator, battery, etc.
Been great.

2 weeks ago I stalled out and would not restart for 2 days, I charged batterys, which died from trying to start, replaced cam sensor, replaced fuel filter up top , screw on, oils good.

Got it running had freinds diesal tech run computer no codes, truck has been perfect for 2 weeks.

Freeky thing yesterday during heavy rain it stalled once when I started it before I took off driving, restarted right away.

It missed 2-3x for a few seconds, then at red light turned off, It started ok, I flew home very fast in order not to get stuck, and have to tow.

It made it home, I stayed in drive way for 20m ideking fine, tach was smooth everything ok, but I am afraid to venture off. This is stange I have never seen this, with out being out of fuel or bad filter. it had a different kind of shut off then the bucking and dry sound you get when running out of fuel.

I have 3/4 tank.

I am afraid to venture off.
Any ideas, I live in Fla and have not tried to start it yet today,
It is sunday, 1:30 pm.

Any ideas.
???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Welcome to the org! Did you try taking out your chip?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question removing chip, never tried, dont think so.

No I didnt, I have not touched it or the computer since it was installed in 2001.

I just startd it in driveway, started fine backed it up and down drive way in front off house sounds and feels perfect, I punched a little to hear it revs, it sounds sweet as always, I let it idle, drove around drive way, and watched, listend all good.

It good have just been a freak, thing a batch of bad gas? since ive owned the truck it runs or dont, only problems I had a far as running were my fault, run out of diesal 2-3x.. ran fuel filters and air filters till too dirty!! my stupidity,

Now I never go than a 1/4 tank.

It runs good, it just did that little skip and stalled2x yesterday during rain?
Today seems fine , just afraid to go off, if stalls, my flatbed freind is not going to pick me up on sunday, so I need to wait till monday, but all seems fine tach is smooth at the line just under the 1 mark.

I want to think it was a freak thing but with a huge truck I dont want to take a chance.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpolar View Post
It good have just been a freak, thing a batch of bad gas?
Hmmmmmmm? Fuel, right?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 AM

How long ago was it since you ran it out of fuel? Sometimes when you do that the pump will get clogged with crap from in the tank. Also what cam sensor did you use when you replaced yours? The ford replacement ones weren't the greatest either. I put a blue IH one in mine.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

diesal fuel

I ran out a comple months ago, it acted up as if running out but read 1/4
about 2 weeks ago. Thats when I put a black cps from discount, auto black color, looke like original, changed fuel filter, charged batteries, had tech freind run computer check, all codes clear, ran excellent, and truck ran perfect for 2 weeks, only till yesterday as I mentioned raining. It dies 2x and skiped a bit for about a few 2nds.

All seems good know, just afraid to go out and try only to maby get stuck,
Could I have a intermittent cps?

And why is running so good in drive way, could it be a freak , maybe some bad fuel> I have a lttle over 3/4s now I am dieg to take out for a ride.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 AM

There have been some cps's that have been new and failed. Try getting a different cps, if you can get one from an IH dealer. Ask em for the older one for the DT466 if they still have it. Its the one that retards the timing. Then try changing your fuel filter again, just incase you did get some bad fuel. I would also run a can of seafoam thru the tank just to clear up any junk that might be in the lines, pump, or injectors.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Bro I am venturing out and have aaa on alert only driving around house.
Thanks for the help, I will try to find out the brand of CPS I got and advise.
If it acts up, I will do as you suggested first. If act up. I think I will change filter in a few days just to be safe regardless of what happens, the cps was a bear for me the first time.
lost the bolt 2 day mission, not looking forward to do it unless truck fails.

cross your fingers.
going out now sunny fla.
pm me later I will give you my cell phone and email, what is sea foam, where do I get it? is it proven? risky? please elaborate.

Scott ;jetpolar
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Sea foam is a fuel/oil stabilizer/cleaner but its way better than sta-bil. It comes in a red/white metal bottle, most wal marts carry it now. Otherwise try a napa or o'reillys. you will pay more at a parts store though. Seafoam is the best stuff ever made. Try that first. If you are still having problems, please let us know.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 PM

here is a link to seafoam so you can see what it does and what the can looks like.

Sea Foam Sales - Motor Treatment/Deep Creep/Trans Tune/Bugs-B-Gone - Sea Foam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.