emergency fuel cut??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
emergency fuel cut???

Where is it? do i have one? and how do i reset it?

Reason being i got my old truck back to the house. cranked and fired but no throttle and tones of white smoke. It would just set and idel real ruff and only for a minute or 2. It suffered a bad front colision but nothing hit the motor that i can tell. I cut the fan belt to free up any stuck accesories. I did not have much time to realy go over it I am just trying to get ideas as wht to try when i do have a minute to tinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
passenger side kick panel. It should be right behind it. Should have a hole in the kick panel with it marked fuel shut off. Just put your finger in and push the red button back in. If it does not push in then it was not triggered. Or it was already reset.

Get a multi meter and check for voltage at the fuel pump with the key on.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

!

Is it hit on the drivers side?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLSYS View Post
Is it hit on the drivers side?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Emergency Services

It's in the passenger side foot well some where. It ought to have a yellow button to press or something. There might be a tag on it or something with a fuel pump logo. Never done a diesel this way, but I have seen it on gasoline vehicles.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
When did this happen?! What did you do?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Dang Dale, i knew it got wrecked but never seen the pics.

If you are getting white smoke id say you're still gettin fuel, so the fuel pump shut off i don't think would be the issue.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Dang Dale, i knew it got wrecked but never seen the pics.

If you are getting white smoke id say you're still gettin fuel, so the fuel pump shut off i don't think would be the issue.
White smoking is low fuel pressure. This means that the fuel pump *IS NOT* working, and the switch needs to be reset. The truck *WILL* start without a fuel pump, but it will starve the injectors, and obviously it will only work for a few minutes till the fuel rails are completely drained.

I was working on an E350 7.3l today and I had the fuel bowl out so I could reach the IPR. I pulled the fuel pump relay also, so I didn't soak the engine bay with fuel when I turned the ignition on. To test the new IPR, I just started the engine with no fuel pump, bowl or anything. The top side of the motor is a mess. The only thing I have plugged in is the engine wiring harness, ICP, IPR, and the thing started.

I've done this before, so I knew it would work. The first time I did it (by accident), it freaked me the F out.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Well thats new to me, i didn't know it would run without a fuel pump.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Well thats new to me, i didn't know it would run without a fuel pump.
I don't think it will get you very far.. As soon as you rev it up, it will suck a vacuum on the fuel rails and then hammer the snot out of your injector pistons.. But it will idle as a proof of workability when you are messing with things like I was today. if your fuel bowl was in place, it might idle a little longer than it would without it, because there is more volume, and gravity may help move some fuel from the bowl to the heads to replenish the fuel being used to run. ?? who knows..

Suffice to say, it surprised the heck out of me when I was working on one once, and I turned it over to prime the HPOP and the thing started. I removed the fuel relay, and when I hit it, it started. I shut it down immediately, since I thought if it ran, it must mean the fuel pump was running. And since i had no fuel bowl on it, it must be filling the valley with fuel. And then I realized that it wouldn't matter if the pump is running or not, since there is no fuel bowl to get the fuel to the heads. It must be gravity.

After that, I played with it a few seconds, just to see what it was doing, and see if the HPOP was leaking (the reason I had the fuel bowl off in the first place). It smoked white, and wouldn't rev worth a damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.