diesel rookie in need of some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
diesel rookie in need of some help

O.K. all you diesel pros here it is.

I've got a 99 f250 7.3 early model recently it started running a bit rough and while looking for the problem i found diesel in the coolant. Today i removed the valve covers and harnesses look pretty good for 270000 miles. Although the plastic retainers that hold the wiring to the gasket are weak and breaking the wiring seems good. the passenger side might have been slightly unplugged and i will ck this when i reinstall. all the injectors ohm between 3.0-3.2 and i plan to replace the glow plugs while i'm in there. now the hard part removing the cups without pulling the heads. you guys have been a wealth of info so does anyone have the tools their willing to lone i'm in texas near Houston and could use some help. anything i might be missing or should ck. i plan to ck codes when its running again but for now cant give you any info on that at this time.

phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Emergency Services

i cant remember right off the top of my head. but my buddy had to replace them also. if i think of it i will let you know. but heres a bump
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i appreciate anything you can do.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Govy Magnet

I am not an expert on Powerstrokes, but I have found that problem on a few of the John Deere and Cummins engines I have worked on. Im my experience so far, I have found that either someone has put a bit of Diesel in the coolant, or they have blown a head gasket. Again do not quote me on this, someone with more knowledge on Powerstrokes will chime in. Although normally its oil in the coolant, sometimes the gasket will blow on the inside. This will cause it to combust only some of the diesel and blow the rest into the coolant lines that run through the block, therefore resulting in poor operation (running rough, starving itself of fuel) and then some. Worst case is that there is a slight crack in the block. Wish I could be more of a help, but thats all I know for now.

~Phil

I just bought an 01 F250 PSD, name is Phil as well haha
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM

diesel in coolant

I had a problem with diesel in coolant. I was told by dealer and several techs on this site that the only way to get diesel in coolant was the cups in the heads. they are brass and erode. These brass cups house the injector and are pressed into the head through the water jacket. Mine was to the point that diesel was purging out of the degas bottle . I had about six inches of diesel in the bottle. There is a way to replace the cups without pulling the heads, however my local for shop (dealer) wouldn't do it. They sold me a set of re-man heads. My truck ran the same both before and after the incident. Only indication of a problem was diesel leaking from the degas bottle. Hope this helps. good luck!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the help. ive got all the injectors out and 6 of the eight appear to have leaking cups. the injectors are discolored quite bad with the other two still looking pretty new. all ohm good however. still looking for someone to possibly borrow the tools from. or maybe a place to purchase them cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.