engine runs rough - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
engine runs rough

I am trying to help a friend out with his truck I am thinking he needs new injector O-rings.

The latest is the Service Engine Soon light is on, the trucks fuel mileage went from 19.5 down to 6 or 7 miles per gallon. The entire truck shakes big time from the motor and blows smoke like a smoke stack. Itr also takes about a half hour to start with constant cranking to get it to start (The truck is plugged in). In my simple mind, I think the fuel injectors are shot! The smoke is because of un-used fuel???The bounce is because not all the cylinders have fuel??? Would my thoughts be correct and does anyone know what something like this would cost and would this be something that can be fixed by someone with average/ less than average mechanical skills? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a copy from another forum I belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:24 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I am trying to help a friend out with his truck I am thinking he needs new injector O-rings.

The latest is the Service Engine Soon light is on, the trucks fuel mileage went from 19.5 down to 6 or 7 miles per gallon. The entire truck shakes big time from the motor and blows smoke like a smoke stack. Itr also takes about a half hour to start with constant cranking to get it to start (The truck is plugged in). In my simple mind, I think the fuel injectors are shot! The smoke is because of un-used fuel???The bounce is because not all the cylinders have fuel??? Would my thoughts be correct and does anyone know what something like this would cost and would this be something that can be fixed by someone with average/ less than average mechanical skills? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a copy from another forum I belong to.
bump bump Marc, Jon, one of the techs with some more experince then I have can you give me some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jarrettsville, MD
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many miles are on the truck? I had the exact same problem from an '01 in my fleet at work. It happened sort of all at once at the end of an oil change cycle. That beast would barely start if you had it plugged in. When it did fire it was only 2 or 3 cylinders and then the others would kick in gradually as the temp came up.

Eight new injectors later the old girl runs like a top! Your buddy doesn't have any problems that $2,400 worth of parts won't fix. The only thing I can't attest to is the drop in MPG. Our hispanic crews that run this truck don't notice anything unless it quits moving! Those guys work hard, but they are hard on my equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:44 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
It has roughly 140,000 miles on it. I know the problem is the injectors but I want to find out which ones are bad or should he just have all of them replaced. Do you think doing an injector cleaning might help out the problem, I am going to check the UVC wiring harness, I am gonna swap the CPS out with a spare one I have just to see if it elliminates the problem. I doubt it but you never know. I am going to get to look under the hood of this truck as he is coming over this friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cottageville, WV
Posts: 492
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
It has roughly 140,000 miles on it. I know the problem is the injectors but I want to find out which ones are bad or should he just have all of them replaced. Do you think doing an injector cleaning might help out the problem, I am going to check the UVC wiring harness, I am gonna swap the CPS out with a spare one I have just to see if it elliminates the problem. I doubt it but you never know. I am going to get to look under the hood of this truck as he is coming over this friday.
I don't know if you have access to one of these or not, but if you can, hook a scan tool that can read the diesel specific codes and that can monitor live data streams and see if it shows a cylinder contribution reading. My Predator will do this as I'm sure there are several others out there that can as well. This should show you which cylinders are or aren't firing. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeno View Post
I don't know if you have access to one of these or not, but if you can, hook a scan tool that can read the diesel specific codes and that can monitor live data streams and see if it shows a cylinder contribution reading. My Predator will do this as I'm sure there are several others out there that can as well. This should show you which cylinders are or aren't firing. Hope this helps

I am trying to find one of them code readers so I have one. being I have a 2002 F-250 with a 7.3L I need one of these code readers. I just need to find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cottageville, WV
Posts: 492
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I am trying to find one of them code readers so I have one. being I have a 2002 F-250 with a 7.3L I need one of these code readers. I just need to find one.
I don't know what kind Advance or Napa or any other parts store uses but I know that some of them will check your truck to see if there are any codes stored for free. Don't know if the scanners they use can view live data streams though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Advance or auto zone.

I have intentionally taken trucks to these places with codes in them and I have never had one of there readers pick them up so you need to find someone with a ford scanner or a top dollar aftermarket one. Also a sct, superchips etc tuner will pick them up. Anyway, How long has it been on the oil change? Possibly have gas in the fuel? IDM? 1 or 2 bad injectors or more just pooring fuel in and basically running it rich? Wiring? These are all posibilites. If I was there in front of it ofcourse it would help. But Never throw parts till you get it scanned. It could be something simple. Remember, a 7.3 will run off of just one bank "4cyls" So it could be something simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok, I am gonna talk to him about his oil change, I am looking for a scanner tool right now to purchase. I found one from Actron that can do most things but it can not do an injector buzz test, or anything like that. I have used it on my truck to pull codes. So I know it works pulling codes on the PSD. But I want one that I can do diagnostic tests with while the truck is running. I was told to get the software from the net to put in a lap top and turn a lap top into a diagnostic computer for vehicles.

Out of the OBD II scanners which one is best for the PSD. I am looking at spending around 300 bucks for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto enginuity is the only way to go.I bet on the uvc harness,but I never get one at the shop that easy.Do we have a member up this way that could help a brutha out?I would check it for you if you were down this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors