01 f 250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 f 250

When I accelerate lets say more than half pedal I loose power until I let off the fuel back to say 1/3 throttle. Its Like I run out of fuel..... Just replaced filter with ltille to No help. Motor is stock , New heads, 2 wd at . Heads been on about 25k. Had to replace injector about 5k ago. used reman....any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Grinder4400; 08-06-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 AM

stumped

how can I test to see if my hpop is failing under hard exceperation?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you could be sucking air into your fuel system. I have replaced a few sending units because the crack at the top and suck air under heavy acceleration. I also would check for fuel around the fuel filter. The rubber sleeves on the fuel lines can blow out too and suck air.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM

thanks for reply

I cant find any leaks......just replaced fuel filter.....Im trying to find a way to check fuel pressure from primary pump. Book says its supposed to be 15 psi. truck looses all power once this happens until you let off accelerator back to 1/3 throttle or less. If you hold it in matt it will eventually stop. I'm thinking its something electrical. No codes!!! Unfortunately its my work truck and I really depend on it. Work is slow.....sloooooooowwwwwwwwwww! I just put an injector in # 7 about a month ago, Re-man from Pensacola Diesel. I have had issues in the past with algae in the tank. Filters would come out coated. Last filter was relatively clean. I don't know if this truck has a water in fuel light. But I have never seen one come on. If someone could point me in the right direction.....Thank you!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM

update

well.....Today my truck just started running better. No more dieing out when you step on it...sigh...I think my problem is in the tank or fuel pump. any suggestions as to where to start. My knowledge is very limited on this motor and any help would be appreciated. Going to do some maintenance tomorrow by changing oil in crank case & hpop res. I wonder if someone shoved a rag in my tank....would be just my luck......
Old 08-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did it get better when you filled up? I fixed several trucks that had a crack in the fuel sending unit in the tank and would suck air once the fuel level got below the crack. Fuel pressure should be 50 psi and watch the fuel pressure as you accelerate. If it slowly declines as you accelerate you may be sucking air into the fuel system.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 PM

stumped

No sir...it wasn't a fill up....(8-12) gal in tank. Truck idols fine. Anything more than 1/3 throttle for more than 2-3 seconds and its like I turned the key off untill I Release throttle to 1/3 or less. However I accidentally Left the hood up over night and it rained. The next day the trucks problem was gone. I cant imagine that having any effect on my problem but seemed weird. I'm going to try to find a fitting to check the pressure of the rail pump and see what happens when I drive it. For now.....Problem hasn't reoccurred. I'm just learning and I appreciate everyones input. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 PM

Hmmmm.....

Well I have checked fuel pressure at bowl...(good). Dropped tank and cleaned out....thing was cleaner than I had imagined. Problem never repeated itself. As of yet anyway. Meanwile....I noticed that wile starting it started to drag a little. Alt output is good. batteries are about 4 years old though. I'm having to try to use this truck to make a living. I figured I would load test batteries and if they were good check starter / connections on tmy next day off. Before I could get the Time to do this I was on my way to work and in traffic at a light when truck starts making a buzzing sound from under the dash, that got my attention and I noticed that all my gages were bouncing like they were possessed. I thought to myself...man what else can go wrong when the truck stalled. No power to key or dash... nothing. Light turns green and I got 8K on the bumper....lol....by the time I was able to rob a battery out of the piece of equipment I was pulling I had some help from the boys in blue. turns out that the Driver side battery was shot. No resistance. Passenger side tested really good. Held 600 amps 12.7 v...Is there a way that this dead cell could have caused the problem I was having under hard acceleration. I know this is electrically controlled but it seams to me that the good cell would have kept the truck running. I can understand the slow starting. Could that dead cell drop all the voltage from the good one and stall the truck. Cables look good and I cant find anything corroded. new battery and it spins allot faster. Problem still hasn't reoccurred . Last but not least...can anyone recommend a diagnostic program that I cold use on my laptop To get live data from the ecm......Thanks for looking at my ramblings.... Grinder4400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.