My buddies late 99 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My buddies late 99

His original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorWerner View Post
My 1999 F-250 7.3L diesel is hard to start after sitting 4 or 5 hours. I have pulled the codes and I get P1211, P1212, P1247. I have reset back to factory settings and all 3 modes of my tuner with no change. Once I get it started it revs high then bogs down and stalls I restart. This may happen 3 to 5 times. Once the engine gets to full operating temperature she runs normal no further issue until she is shutdown for a few hours. I am leaning towards the EBPV but not sure. The toss up is EBPV and MAP Sensor. I have run the tests for the 1211 and 1212 codes all is well. I have checked all fluid levels as well. Stopped by the Ford Dealer in Clarksville and was told they are backed up for the next 10-14 days. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
We data logged it this afternoon as it seems to be gettin worse. It's luggin while goin down the road now. He detuned, and I cleared all his codes before we started. His DC's and ICP at idle looked fine to me. DC maybe a touch high for no tune. But about normal. His MAP looked normal. I couldn't get any reading out his throttle sensor though. But, if it was bad, it wouldn't even move. It'd put the truck in limp right? I'm still learning, and not sure exactly what I'm supposed to see out EBV, but it didn't kick any codes while I was in it.

His ICP sensor is the cleanest I've ever seen. Looked brand new. The whole motor is as clean as I've ever seen. Not even a trace of anything leaking in the valley. His fuel bowl is full. Nothing that I can visually see wrong with anything.

I'll attach the data log. He goes WOT from line 6 to line 21. He backed out and the pressure spiked in 22. Notice it drops to 338 at one point! And goes up and down. It continued to act up through 26 where it spiked again, then drove normal for the rest of the log. We didn't go WOT again though. Notice though, that his DC's climb normally. Now, with my old HPOP and no tuning, the DC's never got over 38%, but I was easily at 3000 ICP.

It kicked another 1211 code when we went WOT, but nothing on EBV.

So, this data log looks almost like really bad tuning to me.

Could it be a bad ICP even though it's clean? I've seen 'em full of oil and the truck still runs fine. IPR maybe? Or is it time for a new HPOP? With nothing leaking, and as clean as the motor looks, I don't know what to think about the data I see.

Techs, if there's something else I need to look at, lemme know. Please include any parameters it should be within too.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Gators Ford-PowerStroke 7.3L-1999-July 29 2009.xls (24.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by chvyrkr; 07-29-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

As this was a pretty obvious problem, we stopped lookin at things, so if y'all know what else we need to look at, post up please.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Bump for the night crew. It's his daily driver. Gimme some ideas. We don't wanna throw parts at a problem 'til it goes away.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
The way the ICP jumps all over the place is crazy. Would a "sticking" IPR cause those results?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

All if anyone has a solid lead as to what we should replace please jump in and help. As Tommyboy said this is my daily driver, normally not a big deal I would just ride my motorcycle. However, that is not an option for me as I had knee surgery last week and cannot even sit on the bike let alone ride it. I would appreciate any help that someone could provide. It is getting worse by the day and I drive 42 miles each way to work and back.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Im with Shane here
Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

You think the IPR is stuck Dave and Shane? Kinda on the track we were on, we just hoped to be a little more sure before we started throwin parts. Any other way to test for that?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

bump for the evening crew
Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Gonna replace the IPR. If you think we're wrong, please post up!
Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wait man this could be a leaking injector! or check ball. You should get the truck to the point that it dont want to start, let it sit over night and pull the plug on the top of the hpop reservor. and see if it is low. this would make the reading go all over the place too. It should be full to the top. and if it is low then top it off and see if this will do the trick. and if you already checked this sorry its late and im realy tired. buck check the oil on the front top part of the motor under the plastic cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.