glow plug test - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
glow plug test

looking for any help on glow plug replacment. I'd like to test (resistance) first but need to know which wires feed glow plugs. any help appreciated. I'v got a '99 f-250 7.3L here in Colorado that doesn't start w/o plugging in on these cold days

Last edited by tomcat; 02-19-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat
looking for any help on glow plug replacment. I'd like to test (resistance) first but need to know which wires feed glow plugs. any help appreciated. I'v got a '99 f-250 7.3L here in Colorado that doesn't start w/o plugging in on these cold days
just to the passanger side and a little behind the fuel filter housing will be a relay that looks just like a starter relay. you are testing the two bigger posts on that relay. check it with the key off.....only one of the two bigger posts will have power. then have an assistant turn the key on while checking the one that did not have power.....it should get power when the key turns on and hold it for well over a minute if the relay is working properly. this is usually the culperate, although it could also be injector o rings, especially if this truck has sat for a long period without being started.....but that is way rarer than the glow plug relay..............Marc
Old 02-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked the relay and test light stays lit for long time (minute or so) after key is turned on, and even after starting. I'm wondering if it's possible to check each glow plug (ohms) at the plug coming out of valve covers? I'd rather know for sure before I pull off valve covers and replace glow plugs.I'm sure they could use replacing by now anyways (104,000 miles).
Old 02-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat
Checked the relay and test light stays lit for long time (minute or so) after key is turned on, and even after starting. I'm wondering if it's possible to check each glow plug (ohms) at the plug coming out of valve covers? I'd rather know for sure before I pull off valve covers and replace glow plugs.I'm sure they could use replacing by now anyways (104,000 miles).
go to the tech files under general forums. i posted a generic testing method for each individual glow plug there......but the answer to your question is yes, you can test each glow plug without pulling the valve cover. remember during your testing that it may not be a glow plug causing your problem....although it is a likelihood........dont just condemn that as your problem for sure.......Marc
Old 02-20-2006, 04:14 PM

Is it true if you start your truck before that glow plug light goes off it will shorten the life of your glow plugs? I owned a 01 dodge cummings and the manual for that said the manifold heaters would automatically shut off once ignition was started. Just wondering if glow plugs operated that way? Just wondering how many times fishing buddies started my truck without waiting, HAH,HAH. Tim
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrun
Is it true if you start your truck before that glow plug light goes off it will shorten the life of your glow plugs? I owned a 01 dodge cummings and the manual for that said the manifold heaters would automatically shut off once ignition was started. Just wondering if glow plugs operated that way? Just wondering how many times fishing buddies started my truck without waiting, HAH,HAH. Tim
your glow plugs do not operate once the motor is started. you will not hurt them by starting it before the light goes off, because they stay on even after the light goes off. the light is just an "edjucated" guess by the PCM as to when the plugs are hot enough to efficiently light the fuel......Marc
Old 02-24-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info Marc
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cold start problems

i have a 2000 f250 7.3 i replaced glow plug relay last year.Bought two optima batteries two weeks ago, turn over great now i have to cycle it three to four times before it starts.I am afraid of it not starting at all is this normal or do i have a glow plug problem. ANY HELP FROM ANYONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your glow plugs are on from when you turn the key on to about 40 seconds after the engine is started. The glow plugs are the two outside pins on the valve cover harness connectors, resistance should be .5 to 2 ohms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.