Basic drivability issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Basic drivability issues

Ok, story goes this way

01 F550 4x4, 7.3, ZF6.

Good combo overall, solid truck, highest mileage component is engine at 80,000km. Rest of truck has been gone through from end to end in the last 60k.

So, the engine is a complete drop in from ford, and today, after having worked on said engine every day for the last 3 weeks, I have decided to post my experiences.

Problem 1: descending a grade that would be a money-making amusement park ride. The Cam Sensor fails. No power assist on the steering or brakes, but its all good, get it under control, stop, replace the sensor, carry on.

2: next night coming home, HPOP O-rings let go on the pump, left side, and IPR. Root around, find some O-rings aboard, change them at 3 am, and off we go.

3: Running along, stumbles/farts/blows ugly smoke/dies. Low pressure fuel system is goofy, end up replacing line from tank to LP, and then digging into the module to mod the poorly engineered pickup system.

4: EBPV sticks closed, and EBPV actuator is leaking oil. Rip turbo off, gut EBPV, Gut pedestal, seal up, carry on.

5: #3 injector craps out. Change injector, carry on.

6: Top keeps coming loose on stock airbox. Had enough, install 6637 NAPA filter and adapter made from 4" stainless pipe. No more dirt in air ducts.

7: Right side fuel return line pinholes where body clamp mounts to head. Dumps valley full of fuel, leaks, smokes etc. Repair line, carry on.

add this to the middle u-joint letting go, the rear transfer case seal blowing out, the front u-joint at the diff giving up, and the continual crunch/grind into 4th gear on the tranny, as well as a bunch of blow-by oil in the intake system, and you begin to wonder uhhhh WTF am I doing with this for a service truck?

This unit also obtains an earth shattering 6.41 MPG on the highway, at 50 mph or 80 km/h however you wish to view it. Ranks right up there with a lot of kenworths... when they're hauling B-trains.

Anyway, yeah, glad I have a sense of humour. Ford " we don't just build trucks... we build character "

So, replacement time coming up next week, but its been fun so far.

My last PS was a 97 450 2wd 5 speed. It got at least 8.75 MPG, and had several sets of injectors, 15 push tubes, an HPOP, a turbo, and 3 sets of glow plugs by the time it was 6 months old.

Not sure if I have bad luck, or just none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good gosh. Its hard to make any money if you are constantly working on your work truck. Good luck. JJ
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

You are a much better man than I am!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.