Cylinder Contribution Test Failed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cylinder Contribution Test Failed?

Earlier this week I had my 99 F250 Super Duty (7.3 diesel) to the Ford garage for diagnostic scoping. The truck has about 200,000 km (120,000 mi) and was idling and running rough. The technician found a Diablosport performance chip in the PCM - removed it and reset everything to factory settings. At the end of the day the truck runs beautifully - the idle is smooth and it runs out great.

The technician tells me that at the start of his scoping, AND after removing the chip and restoring to factory settings there was a CCT failure for cylinders 4 and 5. He recommends replacing injectors 4 and 5.

Here are my questions...
1. If I have an issue with the function of 2 injectors, shouldn't the truck at least be running rough?
2. Is there a problem driving the truck "as-is" if I assume that injectors 4 and 5 are malfunctioning?
3. Could something else other than injectors cause a CCT failure?

Thanks in advance all!

Last edited by nexttimeforsure; 07-03-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Well, sometimes you cannot tell if there is an injector falure while driving it. it may be intermittant and it may not fail at all times. slightly press on the throttle pedal to bring the rpms up to about 1200. do you hear a miss or a studder? lots of times the injector problem will show itself there.

theres not a real problem with driving the truck like that. I had 4 out on mine and it drove ok. just down on power when pulling a huge hill with a load behind it, EGTS go up too, but with you being stock, you should be ok in the egt dept.

I dont think CCT faiures can be comming from anything else but injector issues. it could be something with the Under valve cover harness thats causing those injectors to fail. the power for the injectors comes from this harness. sometimes they can become scuffed, and broken. or the clips that attach directly to the injectors can come off. but not really likely they fell off if the trucks not had any work done to it.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I recently spoke with a guy who has worked for ford, strictly on diesel pickups for 20+ years. He told me this:

The buzz test is accurate, however, the cylinder contribution test has been faulty since day 1, and so far nobody has built a scanner that makes it accurate.

I found that hard to believe, so I did a CCT. Well, number 3 failed. So, because I had it apart anyway, we swapped the IDM. Did another CCT. This time #2 failed. So we swapped in ANOTHER IDM, and this time #6 failed.

However, all three IDM's passed the buzz test. And the truck wasn't missing with any of the three. ( It had other issues )

Just food for thought
Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Do you have the black or gray cps in the truck?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaywrench View Post
I recently spoke with a guy who has worked for ford, strictly on diesel pickups for 20+ years. He told me this:

The buzz test is accurate, however, the cylinder contribution test has been faulty since day 1, and so far nobody has built a scanner that makes it accurate.

I found that hard to believe, so I did a CCT. Well, number 3 failed. So, because I had it apart anyway, we swapped the IDM. Did another CCT. This time #2 failed. So we swapped in ANOTHER IDM, and this time #6 failed.

However, all three IDM's passed the buzz test. And the truck wasn't missing with any of the three. ( It had other issues )

Just food for thought
Nice response! This is exactly why I became a member of this forum
Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaywrench View Post

Just food for thought
This is the first if have heard of the CCT being innacurate. Unless there was a gray CPS in the truck
Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is the first if have heard of the CCT being innacurate. Unless there was a gray CPS in the truck
I am listening!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i will say this , i believe the injector buzz test is as accurate as it gets , as far as cylinder contribution test is concerned it is fairly accurate but can be a little misleading but id say 85% correct, with that said , if the cylinders 4 and 5 are showing bad on cct , doesnt mean injector is bad , any component can cause cct to fail injector , valve problem, low compression ,etc. when a cct is done , especially with 200,000 miles , a compression test needs to be the next step,and done on at least the side the skip is on to get a accurate reading of what is goin on inside the engine if compression is good on the engine , then address a injector issue , most of the time a cct test doesnt fail if the engine isnt skipping so i will have to disagree with you can have a problem with a injector and the engine run fine , if the engine is running fine and has good power then why even address it at all , in this case i would want to have it shown to me that those cylinders failed before buying any parts if there were any question at all

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 07-03-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
i will say this , i believe the injector buzz test is as accurate as it gets , as far as cylinder contribution test is concerned it is fairly accurate but can be a little misleading but id say 85% correct, with that said , if the cylinders 4 and 5 are showing bad on cct , doesnt mean injector is bad , any component can cause cct to fail injector , valve problem, low compression ,etc. when a cct is done , especially with 200,000 miles , a compression test needs to be the next step,and done on at least the side the skip is on to get a accurate reading of what is goin on inside the engine if compression is good on the engine , then address a injector issue , most of the time a cct test doesnt fail if the engine isnt skipping so i will have to disagree with you can have a problem with a injector and the engine run fine , if the engine is running fine and has good power then why even address it at all , in this case i would want to have it shown to me that those cylinders failed before buying any parts if there were any question at all
Good stuff!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the comments

For Dave: The truck currently has a grey CPS in place. Does that affect any decision making?

Other notes - the truck currently has 120,000 miles (not 200,000 as was quoted earlier). It starts promptly hot and cold, and it uses no oil to speak of. This morning I had my son start it cold while I sat by the tail pipe. There was a split second tiny puff of blue, and then it went colorless.

After speaking with the technician again this morning and both of us listening to it run at different RPM's we have elected to leave it alone for now.

Thanks for the great responses. Feel free to add more if anything comes to mind!

Last edited by nexttimeforsure; 07-03-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.