cranks but no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cranks but no start

2003 7.3 excursion. died in driveway. Will crank but not start. Fuel pump is not coming on and I hot wired it and still no start. No WTS light, CEL/SES light on (even after removing PCM). Could not talk to PCM with scanner. New CPS in it and no change. Fuel bowl has been removed with reg return so no fuel bowl heater fuse issue. All fuses checked with test light. All relays checked. No rpms when cranking. I have heard of a low battery causing this. Am I understanding this correctly, that the batteries could put out enough juice to crank the engine but not enough for the PCM to function? I ask this because it died while it was running. I have been having intermitent problems with my alternator. It will be 14v then 12v then 11.5v and then come back up. I suppose my batteries could be down but did not even think that if it could turn over that it was not putting out enough juice for the pcm to work.

My PCM and IDM were delivered today to a shop in Florida for testing. I talked to the tech this morning and he said he would be checking it today. He has an IDI and DI 7.3 on a bench that he tests IDMs and PCMs on. I thought that was pretty cool.

You guys got any ideas why the CEL/SES light would be on even after PCM removal?

ANy help appreciated.

Last edited by ajohansson; 07-01-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Cynic

On a superduty, you won't show rpm's when cranking unless you are looking at the datastream with a scanner.

Yes, the truck can still crank over and not have enough power for the IDM at the same time.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got report back from Florida. IDM was fine. PCM would start in his test vehicle but shut off after 10 seconds. He said that the PATS system was activated on the PCM. He said charge or replace battery and try to restart. He said low battery could be cause of PATS getting activated. he said PCM is not fried or it would not have started in his vehicle.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update.

With theft light blinking rapidly I think its a PATS issue now so I tow it to dealer yesterday. They call today and say its the Exhaust Back pressure sensor which is shorting and causing my symptoms. They say it will be fixed today. We will see. Will keep you infomred.

AJ
Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

TRUCK IS RUNNING! It was the damn EBP senor shorting out!

Dealer took me for $310 for new sensor and instal. I am working the next 72 hours and have a camping trip leaving next week so I was kind of stuck with having them fix it. I didn't realize till after they diagnosed it and were given the go ahead to replace it that I could have ran it with the sensor unplugged and fixed it when I wanted to. That is exactly how they found the problem they unplugged the sensor and it ran fine. Oh well lessoned learned and I hope this post can help someone else down the road.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.